PDA

View Full Version : Learning from others

Scott Shepherd
04-30-2008, 7:59 AM
I stopped by Ed Lang's shop the other day for my too frequent "Bother Ed" visit while I was in the area. He's probably wishing I'd lose my customers in his area so I would stop coming by so much :)

None the less, Ed had a Corel question a week or so ago and asked me how I'd do something, so I told him. So this time, he showed me how he had done the item. No big difference, but what was a difference was watching Ed use Corel, compared to me using it. He did little things that I had no idea what he did or how he did it. He used the Bezier Tool and did things like it was nothing, where I had been fighting that darn tool with a white hot fury. Watching him, I learned some great tips that helped me a lot.

So he turned over controls to the computer to me a couple of times and as I'd be doing things, he stop me and say "Wait, what did you just do?" or "How'd you do that?". So he was learning the same types of things he just taught me.

It reminded me of watching Roy Brewer's video clips online and just picking up the smallest little tips that made life easier.

So my tip for the day is to see if you can catch up with another Corel user and just watch each other do simple tasks. It can make a huge difference. Also, you can watch clips on youtube as well, as there are tons of good one's out there.

Nothing earth shattering, but it really helped me a lot and it's going to make me a better Corel user for sure (which is what I need, no doubt).

Thanks Ed! Seeya next time ;)

Doug Griffith
04-30-2008, 9:20 AM
I would apply this to just about everything. Although it's not face to face, this forum, for example, provides all sorts of tips and techniques. Even if the thread is not a subject of interest, it's worth reading just for the tidbits. To see how others go about doing the same things as yourself. There is usually a better way.

Cheers