PDA

View Full Version : Rust on PM Planer

Craig D Peltier
04-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Tonight I picked up a tweny inch PM planer. Its never been used its the 208 model. The head underneath has some rust on it, including the blades.Doesnt seem to be the tip of blades though. Whats should I clean it with to try and remove some. I have wire brush, wd40, T9 boeshield (spelling) and whatever else I need to buy. I alos have some #0000 steel wool.

Thanks

Mike Spanbauer
04-29-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm a huge fan of the synthetic steel wool and WD-40 technique myself. It's rather effective and no further work is required afterwards.

I've cleaned up many a rusted tool and that technique has always served me well.

mike

Doug Shepard
04-30-2008, 5:23 AM
I've been using WD40 and steel wool for a long time and normally it works very well. But I got some corrosion staining this winter that WD40 wasn't taking out. I finally pulled the trigger & ordered some Empire brand cleaner that a lot of folks mention. I think I'm switching my Go-To cleaner, at least for tougher rust cleaning jobs.

Karl Brogger
04-30-2008, 8:48 AM
I use Mother's Chrome polish. I personally wouldn't worry about the head too much. I would think that anything that is there would either be not an issue, or will get scrubbed off with use.

Craig D Peltier
04-30-2008, 9:28 AM
Thanks I have WD40 and Mothers as well for my bike.

Steven Wilson
04-30-2008, 9:57 AM
Hand block and a bit of lube (WD40, 3-1, etc) will get surface rust off.

Craig D Peltier
04-30-2008, 7:01 PM
Well I took three pics. The first two are the same blade with and without flash.The last pic is of what the rest of blades look like.
Thye look an feel like new as far as sharp.
Do you think I should just steel wool and wd40 them lightly and then run some wood through it hoping it clears up enough so it wont be on the wood?
Im hoping not to replace the blades since there new.

Im not speaking of experience here just trying to make sense of it. Ive only owned a lunchbox planer which required no maintenance.

I looked at the belts thye seem to be fine.The pulleys have some rust on them but not in the grooves.
The chain that controls speed has grease on it so its not dry.

Anything else I should look at for maintenance. Its a 20 inch 208 PM. Ive turned it on but havent planed anything through it yet.Im in a dust free enviro right now while I stain an finish.

Thanks

Karl Brogger
04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
That's just odd. You said its never been used. Was it setup? When I bought my new planer I never scrubbed the shipping oil off of anything other than the exposed surfaces, and thinking about it I don't remember there beening any residue the first time I took the cover off.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. From the pic it looks kinda deep, but I don't think there would actually be any noticeable difference in performance. My vote is to take the lazy route and send some stuff through it. I would guess it will polish its self out. And if it doesn't, who really cares? Pride is one thing, extreme obsessive behaviour is another. Did I leave the stove on?......:D

Paul Simmel
04-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Craig,

I had all my stuff in storage for a year and a half and had a lot of rust on relatively new machinery... including the head on my planer (a little worse than yours). When air doesn't circulate, you're "dead". That's probably what happened in your case.

A single-edged razor blade in one of those flip out holders (like you use to remove stickers from glass) works very well on something like that. Then use what others have suggested. You need to work back and forth little by little as one hand rotates the head. It comes off pretty quick. But if you don't scape that thick stuff off, you will be there forever. I pulled the knives, too, but fortunately there wasn't much rust in the groves where the gibs reside. There was some rust in there, and I'm glad I caught it when I did. I'd suggest doing the same.

I got mine pretty clean, considering, and each time I switch-out the knives, I'm sure I will work on it a little more. I used a typical Scotch Brite abrasive pad cut into small pieces so that my finger tips could get into the far ends after scraping.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the head after you clean it up. You may have to touch up the knives, though. And there may be some rust on their faces. Just hone them a little, and expect the best if they aren't nicked.

Good luck.

Jacob Reverb
04-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Whats should I clean it with to try and remove some.

How about some wood (run through the planer)?

I wouldn't worry about it. It's just going to rust again/more. I might squirt some drain oil and kerosene on it...but not much other than that.

My planer and jointer rollers are always getting rust. (But unlike yours, my knives don't seem to rust.) Doesn't seem to be a way to stop it, and trying to clean it can cut the heck out of your hands. I don't worry about it. Cleaning it won't make it work better! And not cleaning it won't make it run worse! :p

Mike Heidrick
05-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Minimum I would hit it with some Boeshield Rust off and clean it up with a green scratchy and some shop towles and then spray it with some Boeshield T-9. Pick up a 2 pack (one of each bottle) from Sears for $20. Be careful and do not get cut.

Craig D Peltier
05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for all the help. As far as it not being used, it was intended on being used but he tells me he never did. He had a DC he said he ran a couple of times. A 3hp 3 phase shaper looked brandy new. A 24 inch PM bandsaw that looked like it was used 6 times (good deal too 1950).
He alot of money and a big garage an land to have it on. He claims he spent 11k and wanted 5400 for all of it.
He had 6 motorcycles in garage, I guess this was his hobby of 2008. A 7 series BMW in drive and a new house.
The tools were stored in a shipping container down below his house 1000 feet. It was cold an airtight in there I guess.
I rewired it yesterday for a different plug and got it running. I oredred some 5 inch hose from griz and a reducer.
I will run some wood through it next week, boy its alot quieter than my ridgid, it reminds me of my griz jointer when its running.

Steven Wilson
05-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I would give the head a good cleaning. I like to use the different grits of Sandflex Hand Block. I would also take the blades out and run some penetrating oil in the gib screws. With that amount of rust I would go through the machine, clean it, lube it, and adjust before running wood through it. If you don't have the manual for it check out the Powermatic web site as they have many manuals online, otherwise call them.