PDA

View Full Version : Porter cable router

Tom Godley
04-29-2008, 9:07 PM
I need to buy a PC router - I am installing "warmboard" in my addition and they send you all of the templates set up for a PC router.

I have an old sears 1/4 inch unit that I like - switch on the handle - not sure of the HP but for larger work it is stressed.

I had been thinking of getting one with more power -- so this is the time.

Any recommendations for a model in the PC line?

Thanks -- TAG

Mike Henderson
04-29-2008, 9:14 PM
I have an 890 (that's the generic name for routers in the series 892, 893, 895, etc.) and like it. It's 2 1/4HP, soft start, variable speed, and I use it in my router table. No complaints.

Only bad thing is no D handle. I have a Bosch for that.

Mike

Peter Quinn
04-29-2008, 9:30 PM
I think the templates probably require the use of 'PC' style guide bushing. I have 'PC' style guide bushings that I use in my bosch and ryobi routers. I'm not discouraging you from buying a PC router as they are excellent but you are probably not forced to use only a PC.

Search 'PC' style guide bushings, you'll find may manufactures have adopted the PC guide bushing standard.

glenn bradley
04-29-2008, 9:36 PM
I agree. As PC guides are the de facto standard, almost everyone fits them. I use them in my Milwaukees, Bosch and even my Ryobi.

Don Abele
04-29-2008, 9:47 PM
Tom, the PC guides will not fit into the Craftsman standard base (wrong sized hole). You can buy a universal base with the right sized hole and then grab yourself a set of the PC guides. This is what I did many, many years ago. I have a 1-1/2 HP 1/4" and 3 HP 1/2" Craftsman routers (both are set up for dedicated work, dovetails and box joints).

I did eventually upgrade to the PC line of routers which I love. In addition to the two old C-man, I currently own a PC 690 (1-3/4 HP) for most tasks, a PC 7518 (Variable speed 3-1/4 HP) for all heavy-duty tasks, a PC 7538 (3-1/4 HP Plunge) for all plunge work, and a Hitachi M12V (3 HP Plunge) mounted in my router table. I love them all (including the older C-man) and would recommend any of them. The 3+ HP models are heavy though.

The 890 series (2-1/4 HP) is a real nice middle of the road model and can be outfitted with both fixed and plunge bases. They sell a kit that has them both included.

Be well,

Doc

Dave Lehnert
04-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Like the others said, PC guides is the standard and fit most all routers. So you are not required to buy a PC but PC's are a top of the line router. I own the Dewalt and like it.

Gene Michael
04-29-2008, 10:18 PM
I bought a Poeter Cable 892 to use exclusively in my router table. It overheated so badly that I had to use the shop vac in reverse to cool it after a couple minutes of use. I contacted PC customer service multiple times and was given a variety of excuses. Your voltage is too low (Not!), you don't know how to properly use the router, the router bit is too big or dull. You get the picture. Finally, I contacted their repair center in Nashville. They told me that there was a recall due to overheating. I shipped the motor to them and in about six weeks, had a new motor. It would have been quicker, but was back ordered. This one runs much cooler, but still considerably hotter than my Bosch 1617. I plan to increase the air flow over the motor of the PC to help with the heat problem. Overall, I give PC customer service a minus 10 on knowledge and service. The repair center people (at least the ones in Nashville) are on the ball. On the positive side, the router does a good job. Hope this info is helpful.

Tom Godley
04-30-2008, 2:55 AM
Thanks for the help.

My old Craftsman has and is a nice router to use - over the years it has served me well with nice balance and it is not too large. It is a fixed base unit and over the years I could have used a plunge router a few times. Also when cutting and edge on Corian or the like-- a little more power would be a plus.

Thanks for the info on the guides --I did not understand the PC standard.

Warmboard sends you a couple of different PC guides as well as a bit and particle board templates. They recommend at least a 1.5 hp -- I think the old Craftsman is a 1hp.

Jason White
04-30-2008, 7:28 AM
If you're talking about warmboard for 1/2" PEX tubing, you're going to be hogging out a LOT of material. Will this be in particleboard?

Get at least a 3-1/4HP and find some type of dust collection.

Don't they sell pre-made panels with the grooves already in them? Or is this one of those DIY "Radiantec" systems?

Jason

I need to buy a PC router - I am installing "warmboard" in my addition and they send you all of the templates set up for a PC router.

I have an old sears 1/4 inch unit that I like - switch on the handle - not sure of the HP but for larger work it is stressed.

I had been thinking of getting one with more power -- so this is the time.

Any recommendations for a model in the PC line?

Thanks -- TAG

John Callahan
05-03-2008, 8:57 PM
If you like the switch on the handle give the PC 691 a look- it's the D- handle version of the 690. There are more powerful routers out there but imho, few that have as nice a combination of weight, balance and power as the 690 series. Try before you buy-what feels good in hand to me may not to you.

Rich Engelhardt
05-04-2008, 6:17 AM
Hello Tom,
I've come to the conclusion everyone needs at least one PC router.
Mine is a 690.

J. Z. Guest
05-04-2008, 8:37 AM
Tom, if you haven't done it yet, read some reviews on the router you're wanting to buy at Amazon. When I was adding a router a couple weeks ago, I was all set to buy a PC 890 and saw some things I didn't like in the reviews. (something getting clogged up somewhere) I wound up getting another DeWalt. (DW618 2 base kit)

Scott C. Williams
05-04-2008, 8:59 AM
Picked up a PC 893PK 3 weeks ago for $189 + tax at Home Depot. Has fixed and plunge base's.

Joe Spear
05-04-2008, 1:26 PM
The PC 894 has a vacu-grip handle which functions like a d-handle.

Ben Rafael
05-04-2008, 2:02 PM
I have a PC 890 series router. The plunge base is garbage and I'm on my 3rd motor. The first motor was replaced in a recall. My second motor had tremendous play in the shaft, the replacement for that has a lot of play too. I asked PC to refund my money and they will not. IMO, 2 bad motors in a row constitutes a problem. It's too bad that I didn't keep the 1st motor since that one ran fine.
Get a router with a plunge base that you like, I've found that as long as the motor is fine, the plunge mechanism is what will make or break your satisfaction with the tool.

Joe Spear
05-04-2008, 2:17 PM
PC had a recall on the 890's a while back because of some electrical problem and replaced the motors free. Now they have come out with a new plunge base because the old one was not good. But they are not giving that out free: it is over $100 to buy the new one.

Ben Rafael
05-04-2008, 3:23 PM
PC had a recall on the 890's a while back because of some electrical problem and replaced the motors free. Now they have come out with a new plunge base because the old one was not good. But they are not giving that out free: it is over $100 to buy the new one.

And they replaced 2 of my motors with bad motors. And you are right about the plunge base, they sold me a garbage one and want me to pay for a replacement. The base is difficult to use and in my opinion is dangerous, a base that sticks is an accident waiting to happen.
I am not impressed with PC customer service.

An example of good CS:
I bought a rikon lathe about 2 years ago. It wasn't running right, they sent me out numerous parts hoping to remedy the problem, spent time with them on the phone. They were unable to fix it to my satisfaction, they refunded my money without me asking for it.

Steven Hardy
05-05-2008, 1:00 AM
And they replaced 2 of my motors with bad motors. And you are right about the plunge base, they sold me a garbage one and want me to pay for a replacement. The base is difficult to use and in my opinion is dangerous, a base that sticks is an accident waiting to happen.
I am not impressed with PC customer service.

An example of good CS:
I bought a rikon lathe about 2 years ago. It wasn't running right, they sent me out numerous parts hoping to remedy the problem, spent time with them on the phone. They were unable to fix it to my satisfaction, they refunded my money without me asking for it.

16 -17 years ago I purchased a Porter Cable saw boss,a 5 inch ROS,biscuit jointer and a 12 volt drill. They still work the same as they did when I bought them. I started looking for a PC router last month at differant shops. I noticed that the "proudly made in USA label " was missing. I ordered a Milwaukee. The MIlwaukee arrived with components manufactured in India and China...but the MOTOR was made in USA. I am not sure how it came to be, but ALL power tool manufacturers are "suspect" when I purchase from them now. (I'll bet the CEO's got a good bonus from the offshoring tho!)