PDA

View Full Version : Edgebanding Questions (using Prefinsihed Plywood)

Craig Mitchell
04-29-2008, 3:33 PM
Hi,

Today was my first attempt at Edgebanding. It seemed to go well but I have a few questions on techniques, etc.

I used a piece of prefinished baltic birch. I bought a FastCap double side edge trimmer and birch edgebanding. I used a razor to trim the ends since the store did not have the End Cutter in stock. Using a razor to trim the ends worked okay but seems far from ideal.

The edgebanding seemed to iron on and stick well. I did notice the FastCap side trimmer marred the prefinished sides of the plywood in some sections. Any suggestions on how to prevent this? In the case of prefinished plywood, how do people finish the edgebanding? Also, What are people using to do final finishing work on the edgebanding after trimming. Sandpaper? File? etc.

Anyway, for a first attempt it seemed to come out well. I'll soon be building my own kitchen cabinets so I want to have my techniques down as well as possible. Any suggestions and tips would be welcome! Thanks!

I've read here that the iron on edge banding tends to come off so I want to make sure it's a viable option too. The piece I did today seems pretty solid but who knows?

James Biddle
04-29-2008, 6:55 PM
I've had good luck using a couple of coats of Minwax Wipe-on Poly. After coating the banding, wipe off any that might be on the prefinished portion.

Try not to squeeze too hard on the Fastcap trimmer (I have the double sided). I leave it a little proud and hit it with some sandpaper. If it's too proud for the sandpaper, a mill file takes it down nicely too. For the ends, I've been using scissors to cut it close and the mill file/sandpaper to clean it up. I haven't used the Fastcap end trimmer yet. Worthwhile, anyone?

Craig Mitchell
04-29-2008, 7:08 PM
Thanks for the reply! I'll try out the suggestions. I was just looking at the Fastcap edge trimmer and will probably order it.

Has anyone used the Fastedge Peel & Stick Edgebanding?

Is it better than the iron-on stuff? I see that it is available prefinished, so perhaps a good solution? Feedback please!

Joe Chritz
04-29-2008, 7:23 PM
I tend to use solid wood more and more for edgebanding but have used a fair amount of pre-glued heat applied edging. As long as the temp is correct and good pressure they are very secure.

No help on trimming, I don't usually use prefinished but I use a wide flat chisel and then sandpaper.

Joe

Peter Quinn
04-29-2008, 7:51 PM
I use a cheap single sided version of the edge trimmer that leaves the banding a few thousands proud of the pre-finished ply, have had no problems marring the finish but it takes a few gentle passes to get it done and is not the quickest tool I've ever used. Ditto the minwax wipe on poly, plus I use a quick swipe of low VOC mineral spirits to remove any finish that ends up on the pre-finished ply. Its a close enough match for shelves though I probably wouldn't do this for frameless edges. Then again I wouldn't use prefinished ply for frameless anyway.

I cut the ends with a sharp chisel and tune in the edges with a sanding block and 150g ruby PSA paper stuck to it.

David Giles
04-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I put a bunch of FastCap PVC banding on portable drafting tables made of melamine particleboard. It has held up well to abuse from high school kids. When it first goes on, the adhesive is somewhat soft and pliable. It takes a couple of days for it to reach maximum strength. A couple of cutoffs are stuck to my concrete floor and will not come off!

The Fastcap trimmer worked well. But PVC hasn't any grain pattern and I've never edge banded with real wood. The trimmer only needs a light squeeze if the blades are set correctly. I still broke the edge with a file.

Other than price, I really like the Fastcap products. I tried several during the recent kitchen cabinet project and every one worked as advertised.

Mike Spanbauer
04-29-2008, 10:36 PM
I used the prefin self adhesive version of the fast edge maple for my casework and it works very well. You do need to apply liberal pressure to ensure a good adhesion though AND wait for it to 'set' for 30minutes (or that's my procedure) prior to trimming.

I also use the edge trimmer with excellent results, but as noted don't push too hard.

mike

Craig D Peltier
04-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Ive done a quite a bit of edgebanding. When I was first taught the teacher told me to only use one piece of the trimmer. I have done it this way only. Its usually maple that I have an issue with marring surface. It seems to follow the grain right into the ply and knick it. I havent figured out how to make it perfect yet. Do it slow an make sure cutter is flat on surface helps.
As far as trimming ends ive always used a sharp chisel in a downward angled direction, works great. You can do the whole thing from one side or go halfway and come from other side halfway.

I use sandpaper block to file off sharp edges, works great as well.File will also work well I suppose.