PDA

View Full Version : Power feeder on the TS

Dave Norris
04-29-2008, 3:10 PM
Hi,
I posted under this same title about a week ago, asking for any tips about using a power feeder on the table saw.

For some quick background, let me say that I really do not like using the table saw. Right or wrong, I perceive it as the piece of equipment I have that I am most likely to get hurt on, either by kickback or by my hand going into the blade. I use push sticks, and my biggest fear is the stick slipping off the board and my hand flinging into the blade. I use Board Buddies and featherboards too. I’m especially careful when using the TS, and I usually end up breaking into a nervous sweat shortly after turning it on.

So, looking at ripping about 600 feet of oak for my current project pretty much made me want to “soil my armor” as Monty Python folks would say. But anyway, yesterday I got down to it, and after spending a couple minutes looking at the stack of wood, the TS, and the powerfeeder on the shaper, I decided to forgo the feeder, be a man, and tough out just ripping the boards. I put my handy-dandy Harbor Freight roller stand on the out feed and went at it. The first two boards went fine. On the third board, the HF roller stand folded up like a cheap church chair, and the board tipped off the end of the table. So… more looking at the TS, the wood and the powerfeeder. A little fussing and fighting, and about 20 minutes later, the Grizzly ¼ hp feeder was mounted on the TS.

A little more fussing, and it was aligned, and ready to take on the mountain of wood. Part way through recutting board #3, the feeder started to abruptly creep toward the blade. Crud!! I hadn’t completely cinched the feeder base tight, and it had started to move a little. Luckily I was able to shut everything off, but I decided a soon to be done project would need to be an emergency shut off switch for the feeder. So, more cinching followed by a good thorough safety check, clamping the end of my fence solid, and all was ready to go.

And GO it did… For the first time ever, I actually liked using the TS, my hands were always at least 12 inches from the blade, no push sticks, no messing around, no fatigue, no nervous sweat. Feed the 10’ oak board in, let the feeder catch it, watch it feed through, then move around and catch it as it comes out. Easy, safe, and nice cuts.

My two cents at this point is that powerfeeders are one of the most productive and under-rated safety items out there. Thanks for everyone’s help with getting me set-up on the TS.

Rod Sheridan
04-29-2008, 3:30 PM
It's nice to see that someone else likes a feeder on a table saw.

When I was in industry, all the saws had a 1 hp feeder on them. Made ripping a pleasure..........Rod.

Brad Shipton
04-30-2008, 1:30 PM
Its a wonderful tool when you need to do that quantity. I am making trim boards and the quantities are similar. If you wear out your wheels be sure to look into the Western Roller wheels. The offer harder wheels that last longer and feed a little better. I put a set of their 60duro ones on mine for hardwoods.

Brad

Mike Heidrick
04-30-2008, 5:43 PM
Can I see a picture of your mount on the TS?

Steven Hardy
05-02-2008, 4:08 AM
Hi,
I posted under this same title about a week ago, asking for any tips about using a power feeder on the table saw.

For some quick background, let me say that I really do not like using the table saw. Right or wrong, I perceive it as the piece of equipment I have that I am most likely to get hurt on, either by kickback or by my hand going into the blade. I use push sticks, and my biggest fear is the stick slipping off the board and my hand flinging into the blade. I use Board Buddies and featherboards too. I’m especially careful when using the TS, and I usually end up breaking into a nervous sweat shortly after turning it on.

So, looking at ripping about 600 feet of oak for my current project pretty much made me want to “soil my armor” as Monty Python folks would say. But anyway, yesterday I got down to it, and after spending a couple minutes looking at the stack of wood, the TS, and the powerfeeder on the shaper, I decided to forgo the feeder, be a man, and tough out just ripping the boards. I put my handy-dandy Harbor Freight roller stand on the out feed and went at it. The first two boards went fine. On the third board, the HF roller stand folded up like a cheap church chair, and the board tipped off the end of the table. So… more looking at the TS, the wood and the powerfeeder. A little fussing and fighting, and about 20 minutes later, the Grizzly ¼ hp feeder was mounted on the TS.

A little more fussing, and it was aligned, and ready to take on the mountain of wood. Part way through recutting board #3, the feeder started to abruptly creep toward the blade. Crud!! I hadn’t completely cinched the feeder base tight, and it had started to move a little. Luckily I was able to shut everything off, but I decided a soon to be done project would need to be an emergency shut off switch for the feeder. So, more cinching followed by a good thorough safety check, clamping the end of my fence solid, and all was ready to go.

And GO it did… For the first time ever, I actually liked using the TS, my hands were always at least 12 inches from the blade, no push sticks, no messing around, no fatigue, no nervous sweat. Feed the 10’ oak board in, let the feeder catch it, watch it feed through, then move around and catch it as it comes out. Easy, safe, and nice cuts.

My two cents at this point is that powerfeeders are one of the most productive and under-rated safety items out there. Thanks for everyone’s help with getting me set-up on the TS.

Yep ...going to get one of them myself. Can you imagine how many injuries there would be if planers were not all self fed ?
In my opinion only, I would rather have a self feeder over a saw-stop any day...and I would still be able to wear leather gloves when handleing splintered wood (rough cut oak?). Well , I guess I could wear gloves with a saw-stop...if i wired a hot dog to the outside of it !:D

Peter Quinn
05-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Yup, for repetition the feeder is great. Safe, clean and effective. Makes nice cuts too. A good out feed table, even a fold down type, will out work a tipsy roller stand too. It took me a while to develop a relationship with the TS, and while I maintain a healthy respect for it bordering on fear, I no longer wear depends when using it. I hope you come to enjoy using your TS.

You might consider taking a class in TS safety and use at a local wood working school to develop the skills and or confidence to use this tool effectively with out panicking. There are many operations that a feeder cannot accomplish or for which its setup is cumbersome IMHO.

First time I raised that blade to rip 10/4 oak I nearly choked looking at all that blade sticking up. I think that kind of response is healthy with any machine, makes you pause and seriously consider your set up. Check it all twice, tighten the feeder twice, check any feather boards or clamps, check it again, no rushing.

Leo Graywacz
05-02-2008, 10:24 PM
I use a tablesaw for a good portion of the day. I rarely think that I would need a feeder on it. Sounds like you don't use it enough. Being afraid of your tools is going to get you hurt. You need to have a respect for the tool but you shouldn't fear using it. I have feeders on my shapers for saftey and quality of cut.