PDA

View Full Version : Paint/plaster help

Michael Wildt
04-29-2008, 2:10 PM
Hi,

I have a garage that needs a little patching before I can paint it. Never been painted and I'm hoping some white walls and ceiling can help make it brighter.

The house is from '62 or so and the garage walls are plaster. From what I can tell the plaster used is different than plaster of Paris. The Question is what can I use to patch nail holes and a few 'bumps' ?

When painting this plaster I have a feeling that it will absorb the paint like no other. Is it recommended to prime with a oil primer such that the porus surface gets 'locked' first ?

What do you guys recommend ?

Thanks
Michael

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-29-2008, 3:54 PM
I'd patch it with any thing that I thought might adhere such as sheetrock mud. What's the absolute worst that could happen - it'd fail?

I'd paint it with any primer I had available. Even if it sucks it up it'll be sealed.

I've owned and done restorations on several homes over 150 and 200 years old. I have often used joint compound on plaster. When I was younger I tried to double up on flexibility and adhesion by adding latex boosters to the compound. I even added Elmer's glue to some. Eventually I quit trying to be fancy and went with plain joint compound and it works.

David T Ross
04-29-2008, 4:07 PM
Setting-type drywall compound adheres better with plaster than the pre-mixed stuff. Dampen plaster in the damaged areas before filling holes, use any good primer.

Tom Godley
04-29-2008, 5:15 PM
The problem with regular compound is that the plaster will suck the water out of it and it will shrink and crack- it also does not stick as well.

Setting compound does work better.

Normally you take a brush and wet the area first as you mix up the setting compound. Setting compound comes in bag and keeps dry for a long time unlike the mixed stuff

I like 30min setting or the 45min set -- The real quick set I think it may be 10min or 15min always sets up to quick for me.

Michael Wildt
04-30-2008, 8:42 AM
Hi,

Excellent, I'll try to get some of the 'setting' type then. I assume this stuff will get pretty hard like the old stuff ?

In the rest of the house it appears the same stuff has been used, but then they put on some thin veneer coat of some sort. I assume that is something different than setting compound ?

Michael