PDA

View Full Version : Potential Future Gloat (not counting chickens yet)

Belinda Barfield
04-29-2008, 10:46 AM
My SO and I own a company together. We recently had the opportunity to participate in the refit of a 118 ft Swift Ship motor yacht. We were brought into the project to fabricate custom storage components for things like china and serving dishes, as well as crystal. There were some wiring changes and rather than replace the entire cover panel of the fire alarm system the captain ordered laser engraved overlays, so the laser got a little workout also.

The wrap party is Saturday and I am so excited!! Not only do I get to hang out on the yacht all afternoon, but representatives from two magazines (Yachts International and Showboats International) will also be there. The photo shoot is next week. So, hopefully, we'll get more work headed our way in the near future. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Waiting for the eggs to hatch so I can start countin' chickens!:D

Curt Harms
04-29-2008, 10:57 AM
I hope You get noticed by the right people! It's useful to be dealing with the "recession proof" crowd.

Curt

Belinda Barfield
04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
I hope You get noticed by the right people! It's useful to be dealing with the "recession proof" crowd.

Curt

Thanks Curt. It is interesting that you mention the "recession proof" crowd. Up until about a year and a half ago we primarily fabricated natural stone and quartz surfacing countertops for the residential market. One reason we opened in the Savannah/Hilton Head Island (SC) area is that no matter what else was going on in the rest of the country, this area was always in a building "boom". Our area was one of the last to feel the housing market "bust". We saw what was coming and decided to take the company in a new direction. Last year was a really difficult one for the business, so I'm looking forward to having some money come in the door.

Unfortunately, the crowd isn't always recession proof. When we first started this project the boat was moored at a local boat yard. We contracted directly with the boat captain, fortunately. The yard closed and filed bankruptcy midway through the project and a number of folks were left holding the bag, and we ain't talking about the bag with the money in it!

I'll try to post some party pics. You probably won't be able to tell much about the boat though since we have to be very careful about what is in the photo. Being "recession proof" makes you mighty particular about things like that.

Phyllis Meyer
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey Belinda,

That is fantastic! You better post pics of the great time you will have on the boat! What a wonderful opportunity! Yes, the recession-free crowd is definately one to be in business with! Great job!

Phyllis:)

Jim Becker
04-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Very kewel! I hope the exposure is profitable for you!

Tim Morton
04-30-2008, 6:38 PM
I thought this was a link to building a chicken coop:mad::mad:
;)

Steve Ash
04-30-2008, 9:36 PM
I thought this was a link to building a chicken coop:mad::mad:
;)

Here's mine.......

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x1/MichiganFarmer58/P1010124.jpg

Dennis Peacock
04-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Here's mine.......

Nice one Steve....Looks like your chickens live in style. :D

Dennis Peacock
04-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Hey Belinda,

That is fantastic! You better post pics of the great time you will have on the boat! What a wonderful opportunity! Yes, the recession-free crowd is definately one to be in business with! Great job!

Phyllis:)

I agree AND concur..!!!!!! Congrats to you and the SO!!!!! :cool:

Belinda Barfield
05-01-2008, 7:38 AM
Thanks all! Sorry about the chicken coop confusion. If things don't pick up soon I may have to take up building coops! Thanks for the model to go by Steve!

Bill Edwards(2)
05-01-2008, 7:46 AM
Here's mine.......

Wow! Can I get a copy of the plans?:cool:

Oops... Sorry Belinda.... I hope things come out the way you want. :D

Steve Ash
05-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Wow! Can I get a copy of the plans?:cool:

Plans?????

Left side of the coop is a old deer hunting blind I drug up from the woods and joined it to the right side that is survivor structure from high winds which tore it to bits and I put back together. Cosmetically alter both structures with leftover siding, soffit, facia and free windows.....add peeps and hope for eggs.....or have sunday dinner for several weeks.

....sorry bout hijackin your thread ma'am.

Belinda Barfield
05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Plans?????

...sorry bout hijackin your thread ma'am.

No problem sir.:) At some point I'll probably do the same to you.

You know what they say "stuff" happens . . . in this case it was just "chicken stuff". :D;) You gave me a good laugh since I frequently view threads assuming they are something other than what they are.

Belinda Barfield
05-15-2008, 7:12 PM
These are from the photographer's website, we don't have our disc yet. One completely unexpected occurrence, a commission for a jewelry piece based on the one I was wearing. I'm happy about that. Lots of interest in items from our product line, not pictured here as I don't have that disc yet either, and the photos aren't on the website.

The yacht
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z63/Svannahsue/Yacht%20Party/Yacht05-03-08.jpg

A stone table top we fabricated
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z63/Svannahsue/Yacht%20Party/Yachtstonetable05-03-08.jpg

and my SO and me on board.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z63/Svannahsue/Yacht%20Party/YachtBelindaCorky.jpg

Tim Morton
05-17-2008, 6:39 AM
Nice digs belinda, I think steves coop would look nice on the fantail:p

Stve we are going to try adding a couple dozen "quail" to ours this summer.:)

Thats to go with the 8 permanent chicken residents and the 6-10 turkeys we allow to live there until around the middle of november:eek:

Belinda Barfield
05-17-2008, 8:15 AM
The boat is leaving for the Bahamas as I type. It was a fun job. We finished up some last minute changes last night around 11:00. The cabinetry, trim, etc. was beautifully done. Basically every one who worked on this refit did top notch work and it was a real pleasure to work with such talented craftsmen.