PDA

View Full Version : Deck is almost complete ...

Tony Falotico
04-02-2004, 8:32 AM
I wasn't going to post until complete but I can't wait no longer. :D
LOML has been bugging me for a simple, small deck out the back door to sit and relax. Unfortunately, small and simple don't register with me. So off to the lumber supply goes I with all sorts of visions dancing in my head.

Pic 1, taken Saturday before last, shows before, a simple concrete pad out the back with two steps into the house. I wanted to retain the concrete pad for the grill and to avoid problems with the other door going into the garage.

Pic 2 is the next day, Sunday evening showing the beginning framing.

LOML was off for spring break this week, so I decided to take the week off also so we could finish the deck together. After 6 days of hard labor, Pic 3 shows the results. I still have some trim and detail work left around the edges. It will all be painted to match the house, LOML started but I made her stop when the wind picked up later in the day.

The upper deck (12'x12') will house a table and chairs, the 'dining deck'. The lower deck on the right (also 12'x12') is the 'lounging deck'. The mid deck is 9'x20'. The area between the lower deck and the house will get a small fish pond and landscaping.

One of her requests was lots of places for plants, Pic 4 is a close up of the planter boxes I built near the doors. Pic 5 shows the planters / bench seat on the upper deck.

Hope you enjoy the pic's, it was a fun project and LOML is delighted with the results. :)

Bob Marino
04-02-2004, 8:38 AM
Tony,

I like it. You make it look too easy. I may be building a deck of my own and I see it taking me way more time.

What will you finish the deck with?

Bob

Kelly C. Hanna
04-02-2004, 8:40 AM
Nicely done! Decks are my favorite things to build. The multilevels are becoming more popular...you did a great job on yours!

Tony Falotico
04-02-2004, 8:50 AM
Tony,

What will you finish the deck with?

Bob
I used Sherwin Williams stain on the house, It's been done three times in the last 12 years. The Sherwin Williams man recommended their Cuprinol Solid Color Deck stain. He matched the house color so close it's scary.

Tyler Howell
04-02-2004, 8:50 AM
OOO La La! All I need is a cool one.

Tony Falotico
04-02-2004, 8:52 AM
OOO La La! All I need is a cool one.

Tyler, Check out pic 5, center planter box. Sorry, I already emptied it!

Mark Singer
04-02-2004, 9:03 AM
It really looks Great!! You will have some wonderful times there!!!

Jim Becker
04-02-2004, 9:06 AM
LOML has been bugging me for a simple, small deck out the back door to sit and relax. Unfortunately, small and simple don't register with me.

LOL! You got that right. GREAT job on this one. Very attractive and it really fits in with the rest of the house, etc. Beautiful, Tony.

Jason Roehl
04-02-2004, 9:17 AM
Tyler, Check out pic 5, center planter box. Sorry, I already emptied it!

Red Dog??

Man, I'll have to hook you up with some REAL beer... :D :cool:

Tony Falotico
04-02-2004, 9:25 AM
Red Dog??

Man, I'll have to hook you up with some REAL beer... :D :cool:

Negatory good buddy, George Killian's Irish Red.

John Miliunas
04-02-2004, 9:36 AM
Hey, that's cheating! Everything is pretty much at ground level and no railings to do! (Last one I built was 2nd story level, 40' long and obviously needed railings and stairs!) :mad: Nice job, Tony! Really like the split-level and it all blends nicely with the lines of the house. LOYL should be pretty pleased with all those planting areas, too! :cool:

Keith Starosta
04-02-2004, 9:51 AM
Tony,
I really like the planters you built. They look great!!! I've been tasked with building a few for our deck, just need to get around to it...

Great job!!!

Keith

John Miliunas
04-02-2004, 10:03 AM
just need to get around to it...

Keith

Hey Keith...Here 'ya go. No more excuses! :D :cool:

Keith Starosta
04-02-2004, 10:14 AM
LOL!!! YA know, I shoulda posted it when I was typing....

Way to go, John. I was thinking about pretty much the same picture...

Keith

Chris Padilla
04-02-2004, 11:30 AM

Well executed deck, Tony! It all works/flows and I applaud your choice of spirits...my favorite although I hardly imbibe anymore....

Tony Falotico
04-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Hey, that's cheating! Everything is pretty much at ground level and no railings to do! :cool:

John, the FL in Florida stands for FLat!

Tony Falotico
04-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Well executed deck, Tony! It all works/flows and I applaud your choice of spirits...my favorite although I hardly imbibe anymore....

Chris, a six pack usually lasts me a month or two, although I did down two this week. I drank my quota back in my 20's & early 30's.

Rob Russell
04-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Tony,

Nice job on the deck.

Are you happy with the Dewalt SCMS stand? I need a stand for my 708 and was looking at the Dewalt.

Rob

Chris Padilla
04-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Chris, a six pack usually lasts me a month or two, although I did down two this week. I drank my quota back in my 20's & early 30's.

Ha! Me, too! :) I prefer to think of it as aging! :D

Tony Falotico
04-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Are you happy with the Dewalt SCMS stand? I need a stand for my 708 and was looking at the Dewalt. Rob

I've had it a little over a month and it has worked very well so far. The extension arms did sag when fully extended with 12 ft 2x8 PT's on them, but I also sagged when I picked them up. I set the end holders high enough to compensate and got good square cuts. (BTW: ever notice how they put the heaviest boards on the bottom of the stack, each one being a little heavier than the last!)

Yes, I'm happy with it, it was nice to haul it from the workshop to the job site rather than haul each board back and forth. Plus, in the workshop it can be folded up and placed in a corner out of the way.

A bit pricey, but worth it to me.

Rob Russell
04-02-2004, 12:38 PM
I've had it a little over a month and it has worked very well so far. The extension arms did sag when fully extended with 12 ft 2x8 PT's on them, but I also sagged when I picked them up. I set the end holders high enough to compensate and got good square cuts. (BTW: ever notice how they put the heaviest boards on the bottom of the stack, each one being a little heavier than the last!)

Yes, I'm happy with it, it was nice to haul it from the workshop to the job site rather than haul each board back and forth. Plus, in the workshop it can be folded up and placed in a corner out of the way.

A bit pricey, but worth it to me.

Thx for the feedback.

Talk about heavy lumber, I remember when I was building our shed and had to move some 16'x2"x12"s from the driveway around the house to where I was building the shed. Only took those around 1 at a time!

Jason Roehl
04-02-2004, 7:47 PM

Well, that's a little better, I guess...still made by Coors though.
:D

BTW, nice deck you've got going there. I helped a close friend frame a 2nd-story deck up in a 3-day weekend a few years back (about 45 min N of St. Paul, MN). Had a great time doing it, but haven't done any decks since.

Thomas Glenn
05-23-2004, 6:19 PM
Great looking job. I espicaley like the planters.The color is realey matched good.Thumbs up on that one.
Tom