PDA

View Full Version : Pivoting fence on router table makes box joints

Robert Leonard
04-29-2008, 8:35 AM
Recently I developed some software to assist in making box joints on a router table using a simple pivoting fence. The software prints out a custom template for setting the free end of a pivoting fence. Unlike the methods that utilize a guide pin to set each slot position from the previous slot, this method has no cumulative error. And a pivoting fence is a lot simpler to make than a parallel moving fence indexed by lead screws. I have found it particularly useful to print several templates with slightly different pitches to fine tune the tightness of the box joints. I would appreciate comments on my software. It is available on my website at

www.tunelab-world.com/router.html

If you don't want to try the software, at least look at the PDF manual on that same page to see how it works.

Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Mike SoRelle
04-29-2008, 9:07 AM
That's awesome Robert, an elegant solution to the problem.

Next time I need to cut some box joints, I'll print out a guide and try it out.

Mike

Mike Heidrick
04-29-2008, 9:28 AM
Are you using a jig to keep the work piece at 90 degrees to the table when using this jig?

Robert Leonard
04-29-2008, 9:49 AM
Are you using a jig to keep the work piece at 90 degrees to the table when using this jig?
Yes, I did not show it in the manual, but I made a sled out of a 8" piece of 2x4 and attached a vertical piece of 3/4" board to hold the work with spring clamps. The vertical board is also a backer to prevent tear-out, and so is sacrificial. If I changed the slot positions, I used a new piece of 3/4" backer attached to the sled with drywall screws. Of course it is very important that the drywall screws be high enough so that there is no chance of the router bit hitting them.

To make the box joints, I used two ends of the sled - one to cut the slots at 0, .500, 1.000, 1.500, etc. and the other to cut the slots at .250, .750, .1.250, etc., or however the interleaving works out.

Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan

By the way, I just signed up for this forum, and I couldn't use Scott as my last name because apparently there is already another Robert Scott registered, and the guidelines said to use my real name. So I used my middle name, Leonard. I hope that will not cause anyone any confusion.

Eamon McElduff
11-28-2016, 4:10 PM
Robert
I read your article with interest.
I have already attempted to use it but on reading the Manual it is only to be used on letter sized paper and not on Windows 8. Do you have a version for use on A4 paper?
The concept would be very useful for my pivot fence setup which gives exactly x5 magnification at the point of the scale with the pivot point, the bit and the origin being almost in a straight line.

Eamon McElduff