PDA

View Full Version : Backer Veneer Question

Larry Fox
04-29-2008, 8:07 AM
I have a piece of highly figured quilted bubinga veneer about 1/42 thick and I want to press it onto a piece of 3/4" MDF about 20 x 20 and am wondering if the species that I use as a backer matters. I was considering using some plain beech backer material of approximately the same thickness but thought I would check to get thoughts on whether it would properly balance the panel. The back of the panel will never be seen and it would be a real waste to use this bubinga on the back just for balance.

As I mention above, the backer is about the same thickness but may be a TAD thicker. Also, the bubinga does not need a seam to cover the front of the panel but the backer may need as many as two seams to cover the back - does this matter?

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

L

Greg Robbins
04-29-2008, 8:21 AM
Any backer will work fine.

mike holden
04-29-2008, 8:36 AM
Type of backer veneer does not matter
Seams in backer does not matter (consider all the fancy veneer work done on a face with just a plain backer)
Grain orientation DOES matter - make the face and back the same grain direction so the pulls offset each other.

Finally - POST PICTURES when you have the panel done.

Sounds like a beautiful piece of veneer, What do you think you might do with panel?

Mike

Larry Fox
04-29-2008, 9:27 AM
Thanks for the replies. Mike, I plan on making two panels which will get a mitered border and be used as the tops of two side tables that I want to build for my parents. They have two of the worst looking side tables that I have ever laid eyes on in their TV room.

Picture of said piece of veneer. I got it from Hearne Hardwood for a very nice price. The sheet had been damaged on the edges by UPS in shipping and I made them an offer on it which they lifted. The pic shows it after I trimmed off the really damaged part AND cut enough off to make two table-top humidors. Really a nice piece in my opinion.

Joe Chritz
04-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Larry, your opinion would be correct.

Very nice piece indeed.

Joe