PDA

View Full Version : color filling on acrylic for trophies and awards

Harry Radaza
04-29-2008, 12:12 AM
I recently tried what was suggested by rodne ( I think) on coloring acrylic awards. I engraved, filled in with acrylic and swiped the excess with an old credit card. I then used alcohol to wipe off any remaining paint after it dried up.

It seemed to work great until I realized that with really tiny letters and small spaces between them it would be a PITA. And not to mention customers who want logos done.

A customer then came in with an acrylic award as a sample for his own similar job. I noticed that it was not engraved on. It wasn't a sticker either. And the colors came out great (even with logos). Any idea what is used to make this? I would rather buy the additional equipment for this to be able to do those easily.

Brian Conklin
04-29-2008, 2:44 PM
It could very well be CLTT (color laser transfer toner). It is then heat pressed onto substrate and from the samples I have received it looks very good on acrylic. For about $350 or so for the printer and about $1 a sheet for transfer paper you are all set.

Peter Boyford
05-02-2008, 8:15 AM
Brian-> any links to this technique? Or where to buy this?

Best regards
Peter

Mike Null
05-02-2008, 8:25 AM
The printers are Okidata and Konica-Minolkta in that price range. Do a search for transfer paper (laser) and you'll turn up several.

Be aware that these printers do not print white and the opacity when transferring to a clear substrate is not as dense as you would expect. You'll probably have to provide a white background by some means.

Peter Boyford
05-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Like this? http://ww2.allincolor.com:19081/store/prod01.aspx

Mike Null
05-03-2008, 8:24 PM
Their claims are a little stronger than my experience has shown but that's the type of paper for fuser type machines. I don't believe the Okidata and KM are fuser machines but I could be wrong.