PDA

View Full Version : HF Router Bits?

Robert foster
04-28-2008, 8:37 PM
Has anyone used HF router bits? If So how do they compare with more expensive brands? I just purchased a Triton 2 1/4 HP and am well pleased with it so far.

Bob

scott spencer
04-28-2008, 8:48 PM
Hi Bob - There are several decent low cost brands of well proven router bits, so I really see little advantage in taking the risk with the HF bits. In fairness, I only own one HF bit, but since price is typically comparable, and quality is questionable, I prefer to go with the Holbren house brand, MLCS, Price Cutter, Woodcraft, or Grizzly for my lower cost import type bits. Holbren is tough to beat for price/value IMHO....free shipping/10% off with "SMC10" code.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/BIT-TEST-1.jpg

Randal Cobb
04-28-2008, 9:05 PM
I've got a few that I picked up before learning about the value of these and other WW forums... the bits are nothing to write home about, but they work. They dull a bit quicker than other bits, probably because of the thinner layer of carbide on the cutter head compared with higher quality bits. I've basically come to the conclusion that I'll use them on "shop" projects, but not for anything that I plan on putting in my home, or that I make for others. This is primarily because if they chip or get dull half-way through a project, I don't worry about having to replace it in a hurry.

Hope this helps.

Michael Schwartz
04-28-2008, 9:30 PM
Don't cheap out on router bits, you do get what you pay for with router bits and it is worth buying good quality bits. Alot of low end bits are either hss or a low quality carbide with larger grain structure which will either not have a very sharp edge to begin with or dull very quickly. The brazing on cheap bits can also be sketchy and I have had bearings on cheap bits come apart.

As mentioned in articles in the top magizines there are some discount bit sources that are top preformers but it is the very low end you want to stay away from.

In my shop I cant afford to buy cheap tools because I almost always regret the purchase and end up upgrading them and spending more in the end than I had intended to.

Grady Cowardin
04-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi Bob - There are several decent low cost brands of well proven router bits, so I really see little advantage in taking the risk with the HF bits. In fairness, I only own one HF bit, but since price is typically comparable, and quality is questionable, I prefer to go with the Holbren house brand, MLCS, Price Cutter, Woodcraft, or Grizzly for my lower cost import type bits. Holbren is tough to beat for price/value IMHO....free shipping/10% off with "SMC10" code.

Excellent post Scott! Thank you for the info.

Anyone have any opinions on Woodline Bits (http://www.woodline.com/)? They have a Cabinet Bit Set for about $70 on Amazon, I just wish they sold a straight profile raised panel with it.

Vince Shriver
04-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Scott, what is the SMC10 code?

Gary McKown
04-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Grady - I have some Woodline bits (dovetail, straight, panel set). They work well for occasional use, about the same quality as Holbren, Katana, or Woodcraft IMO.

Bruce Benjamin
04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Excellent post Scott! Thank you for the info.

Anyone have any opinions on Woodline Bits (http://www.woodline.com/)? They have a Cabinet Bit Set for about $70 on Amazon, I just wish they sold a straight profile raised panel with it.

My experience with them has been with a couple of rail and stile glass panel sets. The first set looked ok but the profiles didn't quite match. In other words, the cut rail and stile had gaps in them. It had been quite a while since I bought the set before I actually used it but I figured I'd give Woodline a call anyway. They were very nice and quickly sent me out another set. The second set was closer but it still wasn't quite right. It had nothing to do with my router table setup. I've used rail and stile sets before without any issues. It's just due to poor quality bits. I'm sure I could call them back and get another set but it just seems like a waste of time. If I ever buy another one of their bits it will only be something where the precision of the profile doesn't really matter. Even then, there are a lot of other sources for cheap bits out there. It's too bad they can't combine high quality bits with their great customer service. Maybe the rest of their bits are better but I'll probably never find out.

Bruce

Grady Cowardin
04-29-2008, 11:59 AM
My experience with them has been with a couple of rail and stile glass panel sets. The first set looked ok but the profiles didn't quite match. In other words, the cut rail and stile had gaps in them. It had been quite a while since I bought the set before I actually used it but I figured I'd give Woodline a call anyway. They were very nice and quickly sent me out another set. The second set was closer but it still wasn't quite right. It had nothing to do with my router table setup. I've used rail and stile sets before without any issues. It's just due to poor quality bits. I'm sure I could call them back and get another set but it just seems like a waste of time. If I ever buy another one of their bits it will only be something where the precision of the profile doesn't really matter. Even then, there are a lot of other sources for cheap bits out there. It's too bad they can't combine high quality bits with their great customer service. Maybe the rest of their bits are better but I'll probably never find out.

Bruce

Thanks for the insight. I've learned not to cheap out on tools of course but I like to find the middle of the road, good compromise on price and quality. I don't need a CMT bit set but something that works 95% as well would be nice. MLCS has a good deal on their Cabinetmakers set, $120 for 5 bits etc, but they do not have the straight (traditional) profile raised panel that I want available. I'll keep looking!

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-29-2008, 1:00 PM
So how do they compare with more expensive brands? Bob

Ya get what ya pay for.

Homer Faucett
04-29-2008, 1:31 PM
Ya get what ya pay for.

Maybe, but so often you pay twice as much for 5% better when you get near the "best".

I paid $20 for a cabinet maker set (raised panel, style, rail) from HF last year and found it to work quite well. Maybe my set was an anomaly. I did not use the raised panel bit, as I wanted the straight 15 degree raised panel, and the set only came with a cove bit. However, the rail and style profiles fit together just fine. I don't expect them to hold up as long as a Whiteside bit set, but I didn't pay Whiteside prices, either. Maybe sometimes you get more than you paid for. Or maybe sometimes, you don't need to pay for the best to get good results.

I like to buy quality tools, and I will pay good money for good quality. However, I won't say that a tool must be good just because it's expensive.

scott spencer
04-29-2008, 1:44 PM

"SMC10" is a courtesy 10% discount code that Holbren extends to SMC members. :)

Tom Veatch
04-29-2008, 1:52 PM

Holbren offers a 10% discount to SMC. Enter the SMC10 code in the appropriate coupon box during checkout from the Holbren site and a 10% discount is applied. Holbren is my first stop when I'm looking for router bits. Routerbits.com is my second stop due to an excellent customer service experience with them.

Bruce Benjamin
04-29-2008, 3:35 PM
Maybe, but so often you pay twice as much for 5% better when you get near the "best".

I paid $20 for a cabinet maker set (raised panel, style, rail) from HF last year and found it to work quite well. Maybe my set was an anomaly. I did not use the raised panel bit, as I wanted the straight 15 degree raised panel, and the set only came with a cove bit. However, the rail and style profiles fit together just fine. I don't expect them to hold up as long as a Whiteside bit set, but I didn't pay Whiteside prices, either. Maybe sometimes you get more than you paid for. Or maybe sometimes, you don't need to pay for the best to get good results.

I like to buy quality tools, and I will pay good money for good quality. However, I won't say that a tool must be good just because it's expensive.

I have to agree with you on this one. "Ya get what ya paid for" is really starting to sound like a broken record. Your example supports this. I've had similar experiences with other brands and with other products.

"Ya get what ya paid for" means that if you always spend more money you'll always get a better product or a better value. Clearly this just isn't always the case. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Some times the less expensive item is better designed or built better or at least as well. Some times the same item can be had for a much cheaper price from a different vendor. Hmmm...I'll buy it from the more expensive vendor because it's better. Sometimes the cheaper item is made on the same assembly line as the more expensive item but just has a different label on it. As in you example above, sometimes the cheaper item isn't quite as good but it's close enough and ends up being a better value. And just to round it all out, sometimes the more expensive item really is better than the cheaper item. But you can't just assume that it is unless you don't mind wasting money sometimes.

Bruce

Mike Gager
04-29-2008, 7:23 PM
the HF bits look exactly like the ryobi bits i bought from HD

Brian Gumpper
05-01-2008, 9:19 AM
the HF bits look exactly like the ryobi bits i bought from HD

All imported bits look the same at some level being all the factories copied the same design then copied each other. The bodies are usually the same metal but the carbide can vary quite a bit as well as bearing quality and balance. Items like rail & stile bits matching is a function of the assemblers experience and fixturing.