PDA

View Full Version : Neanderthal Conference in Nov - Berea, KY

John Dykes
04-28-2008, 6:34 PM
http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/

Seems to be early in the planning, but I'd love to go...

Save on lodging since my folks live in Lexington. :D

- jbd

Johnny Kleso
04-28-2008, 7:17 PM
I wonder how much it will cost???

Looks like the best show I seen around here and wouldn't mind going and meeting Mike W. Wayne A. and Konrad S. in person :)

Martin Shupe
04-28-2008, 8:19 PM
I wonder how much it will cost???

Looks like the best show I seen around here and wouldn't mind going and meeting Mike W. Wayne A. and Konrad S. in person :)

Johnny, if you go, we need to meet up. I'll be there for a class at Kelly Mehler's. Hmmm....maybe I should ask Kelly for a pass to get out of class so I can do both?:rolleyes:

Johnny Kleso
04-28-2008, 9:01 PM
I think I can get a pass from Mike if he doesnt have to pay for them :)

Michael Hammers
05-01-2008, 4:00 PM
I am planning to register and go to this conference and was curious if any other 'creekers were too?

Terry Bigelow
05-01-2008, 4:42 PM
Talked to the wife about it today. Have to wait and see how much $$ but I'm strongly considering it. I think it's about a 5 hour drive from here. Looks to be worth the drive.

Mark Stutz
05-01-2008, 6:05 PM
It would take wild horses to drag me away!:eek::D

John Dykes
05-01-2008, 6:15 PM
My lodging would be close, but getting out there from Denver - and the conference cost is where the rubber hits the road.

Might be able to free up a few hundred, but much more than that - I'd have to pass.

- jbd

John Dykes
06-06-2008, 2:26 PM
As discussed a few months ago, the hand tool conference in Berea, KY will run a bit more than 3 c-notes.

- Dykes

June 06, 2008for
We're making final preparations this month to open registration for our Woodworking in America event, taking place November 14-16 in Berea, Ky.

By June 30th, you'll receive an e-news update just like this one announcing that the web site has launched and registration is officially open. Then, you can visit WoodworkinginAmerica.com (http://links.mkt230.com/ctt?kn=3&m=1787630&r=MzA5OTc0ODUyOAS2&b=0&j=OTQ2MjUxMTES1&mt=1) to sign up and secure your space.

In the meantime, here are a few of the (many!) questions we've received from people who are excited to attend:

How much will the event cost and what is included? Woodworking in America will be $335 for three days of instruction from more than 20 of the country's leading woodworkers and toolmakers. The fee — about what you'd pay for a short woodworking class from one instructor — also includes coffee and pastries, full-scale hot lunches and a special barbecue dinner with live entertainment.

What should I do about accommodations? Right now, there's nothing to do. We've reserved many of the hotel rooms near Berea College at special rates for that weekend. Once registration opens, you'll find lodging and other travel information at WoodworkinginAmerica.com to help you plan your stay.

How many classes will there be? What will be covered? There will be more than 40 classes during the three-day event, and 10 of them will be hands-on workshops in the Berea College student industries building. We'll cover a range of hand-tool topics, from basic sharpening to advanced dovetailing. Plus, many of the sessions will focus on aspects of the craft that rarely get attention, including Japanese tools, 18th-century woodworking and chairbuilding. A full class schedule will be published at WoodworkinginAmerica.com when registration opens.

We hope you're making plans to join us in November at Berea College. In addition to the classes and marketplace area filled with toolmakers, we have a few other surprises in store that we'll announce first in this newsletter.

So mark your calendars for November 14-16... and keep your eyes peeled for the arrival of the next e-news update!

— Christopher Schwarz, editor
Popular Woodworking and Woodworking Magazine

Jack Camillo
06-06-2008, 9:23 PM
John,
thanks for updating this thread. I've been checking the website on the event, and haven't seen such details.
If I understand correctly, the 335 gets one into all the classes? Sure, it's a price tag, but it looks well worth it. If this is indeed the case, I'm in for sure. (Surely Kentucky has airports?! anyone know how close?) Can't wait! Especially since Maryland doesn't get any LN-sponsored handtool events (though the one in Phili was great last? year)

John Dykes
06-07-2008, 11:25 AM
It's my understanding that $335 covers it all. To be sure, it's an amazing deal...

Berea is 20'ish miles south of Lexington on I-75. Flying into Lexington isn't cheap - Louisville is usually the best bet (coming from Denver), Cinci is a good choice. Both airports are about 2 hrs from Berea.

Again, I get lucky on this one.... While it's a stretch from Denver, my folks live in Lex.

- jbd

Mark Stutz
06-07-2008, 7:24 PM
Jack,
If you sign up on the website now, you'll get automatic email confirmationof new events. I got the same email that John posted, just didn't get to emails until today.

Mark