PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc - Big problem

Kaj Petersen
04-28-2008, 5:20 PM
Hi.

Just went to the workshop this afternoon to do some turning.

Had to remove the Vicmarc from the lathe in order to start a new project. I had been stationary for a week, where I had hollowed som small bowls and other minor turnings.
First of all it was allmost impossible to remove it. The bugger was tight and felt lige it was glued or something.
When i manged to remove the Vicmarc, I found the thread on the inside lige shown on the picture.:(
The thread is filled with burs and like tear out... don't know what has happened.
Just know the thread is in ruins.
Just have to tell, that I never tighten anything very tight on the lathe... just enough..

Cheers
Kaj

curtis rosche
04-28-2008, 5:33 PM
was there a peice of wood wedged between the threads?

Kaj Petersen
04-28-2008, 5:37 PM
No wood between the threads.

When I monted it, I just turned it in by hand, without any problem.

Kaj

curtis rosche
04-28-2008, 5:53 PM
thats weird. i wonder what caused it

Hilel Salomon
04-28-2008, 6:07 PM
Hi,

Is it the 100 or 120? I have had problems w/chucks when there was dust or shavings inside, but that looks damaged. Three possibilities: get in touch with your vendor and see if you can get it replaced; buy a new adaptor and throw this one out; use a tap and die set to rethread the adaptor. I don't know how easily you can find a tap for your lathe spindle size, but it might be worth a try.
Good luck, Hilel.

Matt Hutchinson
04-28-2008, 6:41 PM
I have a Vicmarc too, the biggie, and I don't even know how that is possible without sticking a piece of metal inside there. Hope the delay in your turning life doesn't traumatize you!! Prayers may be in order.....

Hutch

David Newson
04-29-2008, 4:04 AM
I think you may find it's the adaptor itself what may have caused your problem.

I had an adaptor for the Vicmarc vacuum chucking system so that I could use without removing the chuck, and whilst swapping over to the adaptor one day I got a large piece off metal thread stuck in my finger, and on closer inspection I could see the threads on the adaptor are really sharp and rough, I suspect in your case a bit of the thread broke off as it was screwed in causing it to jam when trying to removing the adaptor.

I suspect these adaptors are not genuine Vicmarc products and probably made in some third word country very cheaply.

Hope it helps solve your problem good luck.

Kaj Petersen
04-29-2008, 6:20 AM
Hi I think that David might be right. Might have been a pice from the thread inside the Vicmar 120, causing the problem.
Might have fallen of jsut when the chuck reached the shoulder on the mandrel, or when I started to turn it of.

I have a local guy close to where I live, working in a workshop, making tools who will come by this afternoon and measure out the threads on the Vicmarc and on the mandrel on the lathe. Just to ensure that there is no mispas between the two threads.

He said to me that it was no problem to straighten up the thread on the chuck. I just have to wait now.

Cheers
Kaj

robert baccus
04-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Good luck on your vicmark. you might try using anti-siezing compound on all your threads. they do prevent this. available at most auto part stores.----------ol forester

Bob Hampton
04-30-2008, 9:40 AM
plastic washer at the base of the spindle b4 u spin on the chuck will also prevent this from happening

Bob