PDA

View Full Version : Guide bushings?

Lori Kleinberg
04-28-2008, 5:00 PM
Can someone please explain to me about guide bushings :confused:. I seem to be going thru a senior moment :eek:. I bought a set
from Woodcraft awhile ago (last big sale they had). Wanted to use the smallest offset with a template, but when I look
at them I get all confused. Please help especially about what size bits I need to use, etc.

Greg Hines, MD
04-28-2008, 6:02 PM
Can someone please explain to me about guide bushings :confused:. I seem to be going thru a senior moment :eek:. I bought a set
from Woodcraft awhile ago (last big sale they had). Wanted to use the smallest offset with a template, but when I look
at them I get all confused. Please help especially about what size bits I need to use, etc.

The difference between the diameter of the bit (lets say 1/4") and the outside diameter of the bushing (lets say 1/2") is the offset. Well, actually, it is twice the offset. So, for this example, you have an offset of 1/8". Thus you can figure out your offset based on whichever bushing and bit you use. Size your template accordingly, with a slightly larger hole in the middle of a inside template, or a slightly smaller edge when making an outside template. It is also a good idea to hold the router in a consistent place in relation to the template (most people put an arrow --> to indicate a place on the base of your router, since occasionally you will have an eccentric baseplate and have slightly different distances from the outside of the bushing to that edge of the bit.

Doc

pat warner
04-28-2008, 8:27 PM
Cuttin' with Collars.

Lori Kleinberg
04-28-2008, 9:56 PM
Thank you for your replies. That helped to straighten my thought process out. I don't need an exact opening cut, close
will be good enough. I guess to use my smallest OD bushing I need to go buy a new bit, darn it :rolleyes:.