PDA

View Full Version : Anything to be done about tearout on Spalt?

Wade Lippman
04-28-2008, 4:44 PM
I have a couple turning blocks I made out of my brother in law's dead tree that have nice spalting. Not sure what the tree is; something other than a common lumber tree though.
Anyhow, I am turning the first one and the tear out is terrible. Is there anything I can put on it to help? It will cut smoothly with a very very very light touch, but that will take forever.

Paul Andrews
04-28-2008, 5:08 PM
If I am reading your post correctly, and you have tried taking light cuts with success, then I would not worry and go ahead and rough turn the bowl to approx. 3/16" thicker than the desired outside diameter. Go sharpen your gouge and start very light cuts, reducing the tearout as you go. Go back to the grinder and sharpen again for the last pass and then shear scrape. Use the same basic procedure on the inside.

curtis rosche
04-28-2008, 5:25 PM
you could try hardening it with something like superglue or epoxy

Marc Martindale
04-28-2008, 6:19 PM
Minwax wood hardener works pretty good, but plan on using about 1/2 a $8 bottle per bowl.

John Shuk
04-28-2008, 9:16 PM
Minwax wood hardener works pretty good, but plan on using about 1/2 a $8 bottle per bowl.

Wood Hardener gets my vote as well. If you don't want to go that route you might try getting close to final thickness and use a thin Shellac cut and see if that helps.

William Bachtel
04-29-2008, 9:17 AM
I usually have to turn a little faster, and take lighter cuts, and keep the tool real sharp. Don't press hard when you sand it, use new (sharp paper), and use it like it is free.

Paul Heely
04-29-2008, 10:17 AM
I've had good luck using a bit of shellac also. That and really sharp tool. I'll touch up the tool several times when doing the finishing cuts.

--
Paul

robert hainstock
04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I am getting the lightest cuts using Bill Grumbines (bowl vid #1) Shear scrape techniques. I raises shavings like angel hair. :) I had always relied on the 60 grit tool till I watched the vid and started using this tool technique.
Bob

Paul Heely
04-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Another thought..... Try a different tool grind or technique. I had some spalted maple that I could not shear scrape cleanly but a traditional grind bowl gouge worked great.

--
Paul

Wade Lippman
04-29-2008, 4:28 PM
While waiting to find the minwax harder I tried turning up the speed. I never used over 1000rpm, figuring that was for people better than me; but I found 2000rpm was actually easier to use, and there was very little tear out. A little sanding and I think I will be home.

Sadly the wood isn't as nice as I hoped; very punky, but not much color. Good practice.