PDA

View Full Version : Router fence questions

Paul Arnold
04-28-2008, 3:52 PM
I recently finished adding my router lift to the extension table on my TS and am wanting a router fence that will somehow incorporate the saws fence (Jet Xacta). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Lee Schierer
04-28-2008, 4:20 PM
Most router fences have a cutout so the router bit can be under the fence with just a portion of the cutter sticking out. I'm not sure that is compatible with your table saw fence.

Greg Hines, MD
04-28-2008, 4:39 PM
There are many shop-built or aftermarket fences that clamp or screw to a regular table saw fence. Then you can use your table saw scale to position the fence in relation to the bit.

One that I copied (with some modifications) came out of Wood Magazine a couple of years ago.

Doc

edit: Here are some photos of my router table and fence:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=804512#poststop

Erech Myers
04-28-2008, 4:48 PM
I recently finished adding my router lift to the extension table on my TS and am wanting a router fence that will somehow incorporate the saws fence (Jet Xacta). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

I'm in the exact same situation except my TS is the new Jet ProShop. I just finished my router extension and hopefully I'll have time to do the router fence this weekend.

I'm planning on using a few ideas from each of the New Yankee version and the Rockler version. Then I'm going to attach it to a board that sits flat on the TS, and then another board that is standing up at 90 degrees. That stand up board will only be as tall as my TS Fence so that I can use my new fence clamps from Rockler.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17821

I'm looking forward to other ideas that people give you though, so I can tweak my plan if they have some good ideas.

Thanks for the Post!
Erech

Curt Harms
04-28-2008, 8:25 PM
Here's one possibility-Mulecab (http://www.mulecab.com/routertable.html#M3). I had a shop made router table fence on my TS fence and recently made an independent router table fence that clamps to the fence rail in front and a quick clamp on the back. One of the complaints about using the TS fence for a router table fence is having the router table set up, having to rip something on the TS and hoping you can get the router fence back where it was.

One thing to remember about router table fences--they don't have to be square like a TS fence. They have to be straight but they don't have to be perpendicular to the front of the table. The cutter is circular, not a disk like a TS blade. It took me a while to figure that one out:o.

HTH

Curt

Paul Arnold
04-28-2008, 8:42 PM
Erech, those clamps are just the item I need to make one of my prototypes work. Thanks

Curt, I found this out by mistake on my last extension and I do understand about the TS and the router if I had to rip something while the router was setup, I couldn't help but to put the router lift on the extension with all that room just sitting there. I'm going to try and get the router fence to a good reference on the TS fence scale so maybe I can have some repetition.

Thanks,
Paul

Pete Janke
04-29-2008, 1:21 AM
Hi, Here's my old router table fence. It is a saddle that sits snuggly on top of the table saw fence. There is a dust/chip tunnel built in on the right side. The fence is made of Melamine covered MDF. I made several inserts for different size bits, but don't use them too much anymore, instead just closing the fence halfs close to the bit. I'm building a new fence incorporating the Rocker fence clamps.