PDA

View Full Version : Hand tool gloat

John Shuk
04-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Well my first gloat here on the creek. I broke down and Bought a Lie-Nielsen Rabbeting block plane at a show this weekend. Alot of scratch it seems but after reading up and talking to some friends this is not a tool to skimp on. I had thought about the Veritas block planes as well and I think I would have been happy with that as well. I just really like what L-N is all about and am happy to see the money go to somebody doing a thing because they love doing it. I paid my money at the show on Sunday and UPS met me at the door on Wednsday afternoon. The quality is apparent throughout. I had to show it to my machinest friend for his opinion and the metal work passes muster with him. Now I have to learn how to use the thing. If anybody has any tips that don't include me hurting this baby I would love to hear them.

John Shuk
04-01-2004, 10:39 PM
PS. I know this isn't the Neander forum but if I could hook a motor to this sucker I would.

John Miliunas
04-01-2004, 11:42 PM
...but if I could hook a motor to this sucker I would.

Now wait a minute, John! Is that a plane or a DC you bought?! :D Anyhow, congrats. A LN is a LONG, LONG ways away for this guy! :cool:

John Shuk
04-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks John. You know how impulsive we woodworkers can be.

Jim Becker
04-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Good choice, John. I absolutely LOVE my L-N low angle block plane. Until I bought it, I "never" used a hand plane in my woodworking. Now, I use it (and sometimes others) on almost every project. I've even used it on the lathe when smoothing a few table legs, hee hee...

John Shuk
04-03-2004, 3:52 PM
Jim,
A friend actually told me that since he heard that the Skew is the "plane" of the woodturner and his skew was dull he used his hand plane. Worked very well in fact.
John

John Miliunas
04-03-2004, 6:10 PM
Jim,
A friend actually told me that since he heard that the Skew is the "plane" of the woodturner and his skew was dull he used his hand plane. Worked very well in fact.
John

Sheeeesh...What a combo that is: A turner using a flatwork tool normally used by a Neander, to turn something round! What's this world coming to?! :D :cool: