PDA

View Full Version : Ailing mother....

Grant Davis
04-28-2008, 2:51 PM
Over the last week, my mom (Mary) has been having some breathing problems associated with fluid around her heart. She was first trying to convince herself that she had pneumonia, but after three doctors visits, she was convinced to have a heart cath(she can be quite stubborn). She has been dealing with a leaking heart valve for > 12 years and it's finally decided to give her some problems. The heart cath was performed on Friday morning and the doctor informed me that she has three blockages (one artery completely blocked and two blocked at > 80%). In addition to the blockages and leaky valve, he said that she had suffered a heart attack in the past week. The last test he had performed on her in his office a couple of months ago showed her heart functioning at 55% and on Friday it was functioning at 25%. They decided that she would need surgery at the Ross Heart Hospital next week and transported her from the Cambridge Hospital on Friday evening to Columbus by way of ambulance.

Her doctor came in yesterday and told her that her surgery would not be until Wednesday morning. He has three heart surgeries already scheduled on Monday (each taking 6 hours). Her surgery will be the first on Wednesday. Mom told him that she'd rather wait until he was well rested :-) He wants to take the extra days to continue to get the fluid off of her and make her heart stronger for the surgery. After meeting her heart doctor I have been very impressed with him. He spoke with us for over 20 minutes, and was very patient with all the questions. Of course, mom is understandably nervous, but she's in very good hands. She told the technician who gave her a chest Xray on Friday night that she thought everyone in that hospital must take happy pills because they are all so kind, caring and friendly.

Once her surgery is over, she will be in the hospital for one week to 10 days with 6-12 weeks recovery to follow.

My mom is now 75 years old and has only been retired for 2 years. She does have longevity on her side as my grandmother will be 102 in June.

Prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Rick Gooden
04-28-2008, 3:09 PM
Prayer sent for both your mother and for you.

Augusto Orosco
04-28-2008, 3:18 PM
My prayers are with your mother and your family. Hope the operation goes well. Seems that she is in good hands and surrounded by people who cares, which is already a great start!

Von Bickley
04-28-2008, 3:21 PM
Grant,
Please let your Mother know that lifes goes on after heart surgery. I had a heart attack in 1996, triple by-pass surgery in 2006, defibrillator implant in 2007 and all goes well.

Heart surgery is no picnic, but it has come a long ways. A lot of people that are older and in worse condition than your Mother has gone thru it.

Let your Mother know that she's going to do just fine. I had my surgery on a Wednesday morning and came home on Saturday morning. At the time of my surgery, my EF was also 25%.

Phyllis Meyer
04-28-2008, 3:53 PM
Dear Grant,

You have our family praying! Mom's are special, and remember a few things...the fact that they want to and can operate is huge! With the doctor so positive, and Mom confident in him, and prayers...great things can happen!

I'm actually writing a book about my Mom's medical miracles, she would truly make anyone smile, and it sounds like your Mom is the same! Please tell her that a family in Wisconsin is praying!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Belinda Barfield
04-28-2008, 4:42 PM
You and your mother will be in my thoughts. Please give us an update when you can.

Lance Norris
04-28-2008, 5:18 PM
Grant... good luck to you and your mother. She will be fine. My wife had open heart surgery at 48 and is in great health today(six years later) Your mother will be in my prayers.

Leigh Costello
04-28-2008, 5:53 PM
Grant, prayers and happy thoughts are sent your way...I wish I still had my mom, so you hold on to yours.

Ron Jones near Indy
04-28-2008, 7:01 PM
Prayer offered for you, your mother and your family. Keep us posted.