PDA

View Full Version : Replacing x-axis motor on GCC Mercury

Alejandro Martinez
04-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Recently I started having problems with my mercury engraver. If I make the machine operate at 100% speed, whatever I'm engraving will bend to the right. I have cleaned the rails and rollers and they are not worn out or deformed. I think it is either an x-motor problem or an x-axis belt tension one. From what I see in the machine, it should not be too dificult to tighten the belt, replace it or replace the x motor, however it think is necesary to use some kind of tool to loosen or tighten the x-axis belt. So my question is, has anyone tried to replace the x-axis belt or motor in a GCC Mercury laser engraver and if so, could you guide me with some instruccions, pictures, etc. regarding the correct procedure?

Thank you!!!

Mike Page
04-28-2008, 1:39 PM
Hello Alejandro:
All you need to do is disconnect the 2 wires from the motor control board, then you have to remove the 2 3mm allen head bolts and pull the motor. The belt should be tight enough that is will not slip but not to tight that is makes the motor work harder.
Cake man you can do it no problem !

Alejandro Martinez
04-28-2008, 2:20 PM
Thanks Mike!
So I do not have to loosen the belt holders in the lens carriage. Great!
Any thoughts on how should I proceed to adjust the x-axis belt tension?

Rodne Gold
04-28-2008, 4:30 PM
I would check the X motor encoder disc for dirt and dust rather than suspect belt tension. Belt tension should be set to "tight'
There is a black plastic cover at the end of the motor that must be taken off and the encoder and the reading slot blown out with canned air you can get at any camera shop. The black cover slides off , you need to spread the ends to let it do so , once you see the motor you should be able to work it out how to get the cover off.
Be careful , the encoder disc can easily get damaged , so take the cover off gently and dont blast it with the canned air.