PDA

View Full Version : Corel Crashing - anyone seen this before?

Stephen Beckham
04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
:eek: Not in a huge rush on this - I've got a work around... :eek:

Everytime I click on my Font Drop Down, I get this C++ failure.

The strange thing is it only works on one of my Log In accounts. It does not fail on Admin Account or my 'Spare' account.

I'm using XP as my OS and Corel X3. This started after uploading Cingular's (sorry AT&T's) Commuincation Software for wireless access. They were no help - checked their settings and told me it must be a Dell problem or a Window's problem - it's got nothing to do with the fact it happened immediately after installing their software.:rolleyes:

Anyway - if anyone has seen this and give me ideas of how to fix, I'd appreciate it.

One other note - I've already uninstalled X3 and reloaded from scratch; I've use the Corel X3's repair feature on the install disk; I uninstalled the communication software and I've tried restoring back to the day before I loaded. None seemed to help.

Doug Bergstrom
04-28-2008, 1:59 PM
We had a similar situation recently. Something changed in Windows that Corel doesn't like. According to Corel there is no way to COMPLETELY uninstall their software i.e. hidden files, registry changes. We tried everything but could not get it to work. Clean install windows, reinstall all the software and everything works fine.
There are several message boards out there with the same issue and no one has found a work around. Would love one if someone comes up with it for the NEXT time this happens.

pat Lanigan
04-28-2008, 3:41 PM
Repeating a previous post i made steve, But in XP i always use System restore to bring my computer to a date when things were working correctly.

Bryan Cowan
04-28-2008, 4:14 PM
We had a similar situation recently. Something changed in Windows that Corel doesn't like. According to Corel there is no way to COMPLETELY uninstall their software i.e. hidden files, registry changes. We tried everything but could not get it to work. Clean install windows, reinstall all the software and everything works fine.
There are several message boards out there with the same issue and no one has found a work around. Would love one if someone comes up with it for the NEXT time this happens.

There are programs out there (can't think of the name right now) that will completely remove anything to do with any program; even all those hidden files/registry changes. If I think of it, I'll post it.

Doug Bergstrom
04-29-2008, 8:04 AM
System restore will not remove the changes made by Corel. We tried that but if there is a registry change System restore will not fix it.

Stephen Beckham
04-29-2008, 8:17 AM
It's something specific to the individual User Settings. I created a new account (again) and it works fine. I go back to my normal default account and Corel Crashes when I try to change the font.

I found a C++ warning page that said this exact fault is caused by the Quick Search function. So when the drop down is clicked on, the search function that goes out to find all the available fonts loaded is probably the culprit. But... Why only in this account and how did AT&T software cause it?

Somebody send me a Tousan Sam Quote that would work right now - because everything that comes to my mind can't be typed in this family oriented forum.... :mad:

Pete Simmons
04-29-2008, 8:50 AM
Stephen-

See if the Arial font is working correctly.

Mine looked OK but was not. It would not work in Corel but would work in Express.

My fonts have been causing trouble since my upgrade.

Stephen Beckham
04-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Hmm... Arial is the first one - but again - it's not causing issues in other log-in accounts.

I'll go in and change the default and see if that helps... Thanks for the suggestions... Keep them coming....

Oh - and that's Yosimity Sam - not the Bird with the colorful nose - sorry, but frustrated.... Mixed up my cartoon characters with cereal characters.

Paul Lee
05-11-2008, 1:06 PM
When all else fails, try holding down the F8 key and starting Corel. This will reset all the original defaults. You're going to get a warning message that Corel will go back to the original settings, but your already having problems so click OK. Hope it works

Mike Null
05-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Steve
do you have all the Corel updates. The last one had a patch for Font Navigator.

Stephen Beckham
05-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Paul - got the confirmation screen and said yes, but didn't fix...

Mike - in the words of the great Scooby Doo - rou-wou....

Thanks....

George M. Perzel
05-13-2008, 7:05 PM
Hi gang;
I have a similar problem going on right now-brand new computer (Dell) with X4 running fine for 2 weeks and them BAM!-would not restore from minimize and could not close. Then keyboard and mouse (bluetooth) stpped running and system would not accept USB mouse/keyboard.
Removed and reloaded Corel- no joy-still wouldn't load the application. Then next morn, X4 would load but many functions disabled (grayed out). Waiting for callback from downtown Mumbai (Dell svc ctr)-promised to call at 2:00 pm, now 7:00 pm and no call.
I think I'll return this and get an Apple........
regards
george
Laserarets

Ed Lang
05-13-2008, 7:19 PM
Log on as Admin. change the security settings to the problem account to limited. Try to run Corel. Then change security to admin. Then run Corel.

Let us know how it goes.