PDA

View Full Version : Trying to trace a picture

Jim Dornon
04-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Having a hard time tracing this picture and have it stay round on the edges and circles inside. Tried bitmap tracing but it keeps the shadows. Any suggestions ?

Darren Null
04-28-2008, 10:45 AM
The way I'd do it is click round the outside to create the shape, add 3 vector circles and ARRANGE --> THINGY --> BACK MINUS FRONT.

The photo is blurry, there's shadows as you say and I'm not convinced the photo is totally square...a manual draw looks like the easiest option.

Ed Bagley
04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Jim..Heres one I traced, will it work? Posted as Corel 12

Richard Rumancik
04-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I would manually trace it as well, using the bitmap as a template in the background.

If this is a "part" (i.e. an industrial item) I'd try to get some real numbers in order to correct any scale issues. For a rectangular part I usually ask for actual drawing numbers and adjust to those. Another way for irregular parts is to photograph or scan on fine grid paper, or with two rules perpendicular rules beside the part.

My procedure would be:

1. set bitmap as background layer and turn off
2. create part outline and holes on new layer
3. "measure" the rulers in Corel on the bitmap eg 10.00" on rule measures 9.98" in x axis, 10.00" on rule measures 10.02" in y axis.
If they scale out exactly you are lucky and don't need to adjust.
4. using a scale or size transform, adjust the vector image so it is corrected in both axes. Then the part itself should be approx. the correct size.

eg Scale method: Transformation -> scale - >non-proportional H (x axis) 100.20%, V (y axis) 99.80% y

Keep copies along the way to record your work process (diff filenames).

Some items may not require this level of precision but this works quite well if accuracy is needed.

David Fairfield
04-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Its a simple shape, I'd manually trace it, might take a minute longer but its less stressful than trying to argue with a computer. ;)

Dave