PDA

View Full Version : After staining before spraying lacquer

Craig D Peltier
04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Do I need to put a sanding sealer on it before I spray lacquer?
I am using a wood conditioner on the hardwood maple frames but not the ply.My test pieces showed blotching on hardwood but none on ply.
A buddy who use to spray alot a long time ago sais this was protocol but wasnt sure with the new lacquers.
Thanks

Steve Clardy
04-28-2008, 12:22 PM
I no longer use a sanding sealer under lacquer.
I just spray a first coat of lacquer, sand, then respray.

Jim Becker
04-28-2008, 12:33 PM
If you are using solvent-based lacquer, sealer isn't necessary unless there would be some kind of incompatibility with the stain/dye you used. Otherwise, Steve's correct. If you are using a water borne product, I do recommend you spray a coat of de-waxed shellac, however. That will prevent any issue with a water soluble dye and any adhesion issues over an oil based stain. (which must be totally dry before you top coat)

Joe Chritz
04-28-2008, 1:12 PM
Sealer is used in production for quicker build and easier sanding.

Almost all lacquers (maybe all, at least all I have used) are self sealing. The first coat is pretty rough, knock down with a sanding sponge and do coats 2 and 3.

Watch for compatibility issues like Jim mentioned.

Joe

Craig D Peltier
04-28-2008, 7:20 PM
Thanks,
Jim its going over Varathane Oil Based stain. So you suggest dewaxed shellac because the lacquer may not bond. I was going to use Roddas Lacquer.
Crystal-Clear Lacquer
It dries quick.

Jim Becker
04-28-2008, 8:17 PM
No, I'm suggesting a barrier coat of de-waxed shellac to keep the lacquer from eating up the oil-based product. Lacquer thinner is nasty stuff...

Craig D Peltier
04-29-2008, 12:48 AM
No, I'm suggesting a barrier coat of de-waxed shellac to keep the lacquer from eating up the oil-based product. Lacquer thinner is nasty stuff...

AHHHHH Thanks