PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Don Abele

Keith Beck
04-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Congratulations goes out to our own Don Abele for his selection to Master Chief Petty Officer! Good on ya Don!

Guess that translates to more money to spend on tools, but less time to use 'em! :D

Keith

alex grams
04-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Life's cruel joke of either having enough money and no time to enjoy it or having enough time and no money to help enjoy it.

Congrats.

David Tiell
04-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Congrats, Doc!

Jim Becker
04-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Woo-hoo! Sounds like time for a celebration! Congrats, Doc!

Oh, Happy Birthday, too! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Congrats Doc!

Dennis Peacock
04-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Congrats Doc..!!!!!!!

Keith Outten
04-28-2008, 10:50 AM
An outstanding accomplishment Doc, congratulations!!!

Oh and Happy Birthday :)

Keith Starosta
04-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Very cool, Doc!!! Congrats!!! :D

- Keith

Augusto Orosco
04-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Great news Doc. Congratulations on both the promotion and your b-day!

If you have any celebratory drinks, though, stay away from those framing guns :D!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Great news Doc. Congratulations on both the promotion and your b-day!

If you have any celebratory drinks, though, stay away from those framing guns :D!

Doc...as advised but also I'd not be climbing any masts to unfurl mainsails either!:rolleyes:

Paul Girouard
04-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Doc...as advised but also I'd not be climbing any masts to unfurl mainsails either!:rolleyes:

Congrats Master Chief :)

Ken Echo-9's have no business climbing masts , even IF they are on REALLY OLD warships. :D

Now back to the Goat locker Don , opp, I mean Master Chief!

Butch Edwards
04-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Congrats,Chief.....

Garth Keel
04-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Congrats and Happy B'day. Wow, what a pair!

Glenn Clabo
04-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Well now...ain't that just somthing! HMMC (SS) ! It's got a nice ring to it.

Just so everyone knows...his new title is now Master...

Don Abele
04-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Thank you all very much. I found out late Friday and haven't stopped smiling since then. This morning I got my new anchors (with both shiny stars on it) pinned on while onboard the ship. Great place to do it, and on my birthday to boot. It's just been a great day!

Thanks again.

Be well,

Doc

BTW Glenn, I'll be in Newport tomorrow to pick up my new ID card and new uniform articles. PM me your number and I'll call when I get there so we can finally meet.

Matt Crew
04-28-2008, 1:16 PM
Congratuations for your hard work finally paying off for you.
Also have a Happy B-day

Bob DeWolfe
04-28-2008, 1:35 PM
Congratulations.

CDR (Ret'd) from the navy north of you.

Lori Kleinberg
04-28-2008, 1:41 PM
Congratulations and Happy Birthday

Don Abele
04-28-2008, 2:01 PM
Congrats Master Chief :)

Ken Echo-9's have no business climbing masts , even IF they are on REALLY OLD warships. :D

Now back to the Goat locker Don , opp, I mean Master Chief!

Paul, I LOVE to climb the masts. Nothing like being 120 feet in the air, standing on a inch and half line. Exhilarating is an understatement! Especially when you think back about the guys doing it 210 years ago. Of course, when it's time for 20 people to shine the brass for 4 hours (everyday :eek:) I head into the goat locker for some coffee!!! :D RHIP.

Be well,

Doc

Jim Becker
04-28-2008, 2:03 PM
Rank hath its privileges... :)

Lance Norris
04-28-2008, 5:59 PM
Don... what does the Master Chief do? I am the Master Chef, is it something like that? Happy Birthday.http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/images/smilies2/party-on.gifhttp://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/images/smilies2/happy-birthday.gif

Glenn Clabo
04-28-2008, 6:07 PM
Master Chief Petty Officer is the ninth, and highest, enlisted rank (E-9) in theUS Navy. And even more....
Master Chief Petty Officers are generally considered to be the technical experts in their fields. As such they are normally assigned to major afloat commands such as aircraft carriers, cruiser destroyer groups, and fleet staffs. Many Master Chiefs choose to enter the Command Master Chief Program. If selected they receive additional leadership training and are assigned to commands as the Command Master Chief (CMC). The Command Master Chief is the senior enlisted person at a command and as such works as a liaison between the Commanding Officer and the enlisted ranks. In this capacity the CMC assists the commanding officer in issues of quality of life, discipline, training, and morale. On Submarines, the CMC is called the COB or the Chief of the Boat.

Bruce Page
04-28-2008, 6:23 PM
Congrats Doc, that is very cool!

Lance Norris
04-28-2008, 6:25 PM
Master Chief Petty Officer is the ninth, and highest, enlisted rank (E-9) in theUS Navy. And even more....
Master Chief Petty Officers are generally considered to be the technical experts in their fields. As such they are normally assigned to major afloat commands such as aircraft carriers, cruiser destroyer groups, and fleet staffs. Many Master Chiefs choose to enter the Command Master Chief Program. If selected they receive additional leadership training and are assigned to commands as the Command Master Chief (CMC). The Command Master Chief is the senior enlisted person at a command and as such works as a liaison between the Commanding Officer and the enlisted ranks. In this capacity the CMC assists the commanding officer in issues of quality of life, discipline, training, and morale. On Submarines, the CMC is called the COB or the Chief of the Boat.

OH. http://planetsmilies.net/eat-drink-smiley-5160.gif

Ron Jones near Indy
04-28-2008, 6:49 PM
What a way to celebrate your birthday! Congratulations Don!

Mike Cutler
04-28-2008, 7:32 PM
Congratulations Master Chief. Well done.

Tim Morton
04-28-2008, 7:43 PM
Master Chief Petty Officer is the ninth, and highest, enlisted rank (E-9) in theUS Navy.

Technically speaking wouldn't a warrant officer outrank a MC and still be considered enlisted? I got out of the navy 22 years ago so correct me if I'm wrong:p

Congrats Don!!!!

Mike Cutler
04-28-2008, 7:51 PM
Technically speaking wouldn't a warrant officer outrank a MC and still be considered enlisted? I got out of the navy 22 years ago so correct me if I'm wrong:p

Congrats Don!!!!

Uh-Oh. Someone is going to have to break out their Blue Jackets Manual.:eek:

I seem to remember that warrants were a different classification between Enlisted and Officer. But uhh,,, Boot Camp was 1978 in San Diego. The memory is a little hazier these days.:o,;)
I remember what a COB was though.:eek:

Martin Shupe
04-28-2008, 8:08 PM
Congratulations, Doc! I am sure you will make a fine Master Chief.

Jim Becker
04-28-2008, 8:09 PM
Gee...and I just realized that Don is celebrating his 39th birthday for the first time... :D ...

Martin Shupe
04-28-2008, 8:14 PM
Uh-Oh. Someone is going to have to break out their Blue Jackets Manual.:eek:

I seem to remember that warrants were a different classification between Enlisted and Officer. But uhh,,, Boot Camp was 1978 in San Diego. The memory is a little hazier these days.:o,;)
I remember what a COB was though.:eek:

There are warrents in the Navy, but not too many. They are in no man's land, between officers and enlisted. The Army has a lot more of them, mostly helicopter pilots. We had a few NAVCADs as well, although I am not sure if they exist anymore.

For Doc to make Master Chief is a major career accomplishment.

LCDR (in a past life) Shupe

Butch Edwards
04-28-2008, 8:16 PM
Thank you all very much. I found out late Friday and haven't stopped smiling since then. This morning I got my new anchors (with both shiny stars on it) pinned on while onboard the ship. Great place to do it, and on my birthday to boot. It's just been a great day!

Thanks again.

Be well,

Doc

BTW Glenn, I'll be in Newport tomorrow to pick up my new ID card and new uniform articles. PM me your number and I'll call when I get there so we can finally meet.

a friend 'o mine was aboard Nuke Subs.... he said there's only two vessels in the water.... Submarines...and targets....:D

my dad was on a carrier.. I chose bein' on land ;)
congrats again!!!

Andy Hoyt
04-28-2008, 9:42 PM
From one doc to another: Bravo Zulu.

Andy Hoyt
04-28-2008, 9:43 PM

PS: Even Admirals should salute WOs.

Don Abele
04-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Technically speaking wouldn't a warrant officer outrank a MC and still be considered enlisted? I got out of the navy 22 years ago so correct me if I'm wrong:p Congrats Don!!!!

Warrants are in their own category. They are "technical" officers, and are that - officers. Many are prior Chief Petty Officers, but I don't know any who were prior Master Chiefs.

Gee...and I just realized that Don is celebrating his 39th birthday for the first time... :D ...

Arrrggghh...you didn't have to remind me of the number. And yes, I think I'll be holding there for a while.

a friend 'o mine was aboard Nuke Subs.... he said there's only two vessels in the water.... Submarines...and targets....:D my dad was on a carrier.. I chose bein' on land ;) congrats again!!!

Butch, I spent 12 years on submarines (and I'm actually still drawing my submarine pay, at least until I transfer) - so that's my favorite saying. I always refer to surface ships as targets. That is except for my current assignment - I'd never call her that!

Thanks Andy. The nice thing is that I put on HMCM - so I made Master Chief in my own (and very cherished) rate. I get to keep it until I transfer in September. Then I shift over to the command program and become a full-fledged Command Master Chief or CMDCM. I'll be talking with my detailer over the next couple of days to figure out what my next assignment will be.

Again, thanks for all the congratulations guys. It has been a wonderful day - one I will not forget. And comments like above help with the memory. I truly appreciate it and it's one of the things that makes SMC such a special place.

Be well,

Doc

Tyler Howell
04-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Congrats Doc
BZ

Jason Roehl
04-29-2008, 7:01 AM
Guess I missed this thread yesterday, so a belated "Happy Birthday" and congratulations to you, Don!

Dave Anderson NH
04-29-2008, 8:56 AM
I only saw this thread this morning Doc. My most hearty congratulations and happy birthday too. Good luck with your detailer, maybe you can stay up in this part of the country considering all of the work you've been putting into the house.

jeremy levine
04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
CMCPO.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=87411&stc=1&d=1209482485)

Very cool. My favorite manager was from the "Silent Service" the "Andrew Jackson" I believe

Glenn Clabo
04-29-2008, 1:26 PM
Actually...for now...a Caduceus is in the center instead of the star.

Glenn Clabo
04-29-2008, 1:43 PM
In January 2006 the Navy placed 30 selected Chief Warrant Officers in aircraft cockpits as pilots and naval flight officers.

Bill Peterson
04-29-2008, 8:43 PM
Don,

A well-deserved promotion - give me a call regarding your future plans.

Bill
CMDCM(SS)

Don Abele
04-29-2008, 9:01 PM
Bill - WELCOME TO THE CREEK!!!

Man was I just shocked to see a reply from you. The whole time I was at the SEA I didn't know you were a woodworker. This is a great place.

I'll give you a call tomorrow, we can chat about the "interesting" dilemma I have found myself in.

Be well,

Doc

Bill Peterson
04-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Don,

This has been a fairly recent acquisition - I've been watching Norm for a while, just haven't done anything about it.

Was in the the classroom for most of today, so may have missed your call - my advice is: figure out how to get a COB ride first...

Bill

Don Abele
04-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Bill, there are many of us here that can attribute our love of woodworking to Norm. He's a great inspiration. I've got my 3 year old hooked on him.

As for the COB ride, I'm pretty sure that option went away when I was selected for the Command Senior Chief program earlier this year. The 9578 NEC I think would pretty much prevent that. But now that I've submitted my conversion package for CMDCM, I'm positive I couldn't go back as a COB.

I'm in Portsmouth tomorrow to get my physical done, but I'll try and give you a call, if not then on Friday.

Be well,

Doc

Mike Henderson
04-30-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm a little late, but congratulations on your promotion. Making E-9 is quite an accomplishment.

Mike

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-02-2008, 4:08 PM
WELL DONE, DON!

I Know you know the meaning of it.

Bruce