PDA

View Full Version : I need some information

Wolf Kiessling
04-01-2004, 5:45 PM
I would like to get some info regarding the qualities of poplar wood for turning. I have a chance to pick some up but don't know if it's worth it as I have never worked with it in any capacity.

Jim Becker
04-01-2004, 6:03 PM
Poplar (Tulip Poplar | Yellow Poplar \ Liriodendron tulipifera L.) turns nicely, although it can sometimes be a little fuzzy near the end grain on some pieces. I've seen some really beautiful pieces from this wood...and I've seen some dogs, too! You can sometimes get some curly figure, depending where on the tree it was cut from, too. Some poplar exhibits mineral staining (purple/green/blue) which can make for an interesting effect. Although some people don't like the greenish color of the heartwood when frest cut, it turns a very nice brown with exposure to UV in a short period of time.

David Ellsworth actually teaches using poplar. (very wet poplar, I might add) I've only turned it a few times since that experience, but that's largely circumstancial since most of mine was cut into boards for the flat side of life. But when I did use it, I was pleased with the results.

It also dyes nicely if you want to play with that kind of effect...a dye job followed by shellac really pops on poplar.

Dan Stuewe
04-01-2004, 6:05 PM
Poplar was actually the first wood I ever turned. My wife and I made a couple lamps out of it using a friends shopsmith. All I really remember about it is that it was kinda splintery, but that may have been more technique than anything (I didn't have a clue what I was doing and my wife hadn't turned in a few years.) The finish was smooth, but the grain was still pretty muddy. We stained them and they definatly have a rustic look.