PDA

View Full Version : Acacia Bowl With Textured Band

Mike Vickery
04-28-2008, 2:04 AM
The bowl is made from local Acacia and is 9 1/2 x 2 inches. The textured band was made with the Sorby textureing tool and is highlighted by two beads.
The finish is Deft oil buffed out by hand.

I have not turning much lately but still have been getting out a couple of pieces.
http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/mikevickery/images/stories/easygallery/19/1209362128_acaciabowl.jpg

Comment and critiques are always appreciated

curtis rosche
04-28-2008, 7:27 AM
that looks neat, can we get a picture from above?

Tom Keen
04-28-2008, 8:59 AM
Mike... Again, very nice form and use of the color variation in the wood. In general, I really admire your sense of shape/form and use of details to capture the eye. Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
04-28-2008, 9:07 AM
Very nice bowl Mike! While the style is distinctly yours - the textured band is something new and along with the beads adds an interesting variation to the outside curve!

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2008, 9:35 AM
Great bowl Mike. I like the textured ring. Well done.

Glenn Hodges
04-28-2008, 3:08 PM
Ditto to the above. I would like to add that I like the wood and what you did with it. When you make another one try it with out the foot.

Jim Underwood
04-28-2008, 4:13 PM
I'm logged in, but I don't see the picture.. :(

Mike Vickery
04-28-2008, 5:49 PM
I'm logged in, but I don't see the picture.. :(
I am not sure why it is not working but probably has something to do with I host the pictures on my site and just link to it here.

Sorry you are having issues. Here is a link to it on my site http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/mikevickery/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=photos&cid=81&Itemid=40

Mike Vickery
04-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I appreciate it.

Glenn - I agree the piece would work a little better without the foot.

Scott Hubl
04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Thats nice looking Mike.
I think the foot is small enough and looks appropriate.
I like the textured band too.

Richard Madison
04-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Mike,
I do like the shallow foot, as it helps the piece "float" above the surface just a bit. Textured band is also very cool. Not so sure about the flat top. Makes it look thick. How would it be if the top edge was sloped about 15 degrees, down from inside to outside? Or perpendicular to the wall, to show minimum wall thickness?

Mike Vickery
04-30-2008, 2:44 PM
Mike,
I do like the shallow foot, as it helps the piece "float" above the surface just a bit. Textured band is also very cool. Not so sure about the flat top. Makes it look thick. How would it be if the top edge was sloped about 15 degrees, down from inside to outside? Or perpendicular to the wall, to show minimum wall thickness?

Richard - The rim is sloped, it goes down towards the inside of the bowl. If you notice in the picture that is reason that you cannot see the rim in the front but can further back.
As far as making it look thick. It is pretty thick. In general anything I put textureing on I leave thicker then I usually do to go for a rugged appearance. I do take the wall thickness down a little more on the lower part of the bowl to keep the weight in an acceptable range for me.

I do appreciate the feedback.

Ben Gastfriend
04-30-2008, 6:36 PM
Looks great, as always Mike! I love the textured band and the beads.

Allen Neighbors
04-30-2008, 8:24 PM
MV, you da man! I like everything about this piece. Your forms are always right on!