PDA

View Full Version : Identify this Performax 22" drum sander

Grant Vanbokklen
04-28-2008, 12:38 AM
There is a Performax literally just down the street. Can you tell what age this might be from the picture? Anything I might lookout for? They won't be able to show it till later tomorrow night. Pricing?

jason lambert
04-28-2008, 11:23 AM
ok I don't know much here but since no one else answered I woudl say over 10 yeras old. Looks like there pro model which sold for about 2k + outfeed tables wheels etc... Usally the newer model / version which is pretty similar nicer stand sells for about 1200 used. for what he is asking i would get it I jut paid over 1k for a newer version of that sander. Hope this helps a bit. Let us know how you make out.

Also look at the belt condition and the roller make sure it is in good condition and wasn't rubbing on the belt at all. Also that all berrings are in good shape.

Rob Diz
04-28-2008, 5:35 PM
I agree. I woudl also point out that the DC in place only catches the visible stuff. If you are using a drum sander, invest in a felt bag for your dc

Travis Porter
04-28-2008, 9:21 PM
I don't think it is the pro model as it has a column on both sides of the table. I would guess it is a 22-44 standard. Wheels and outfeed tables are a plus. I too would say it is around 8 to 10 years old.

Make sure the arm supporting the drum is solid and has no cracks. Check the height adjustment and make sure not too much slop in the mechanism. Check the power feed belt tightening mechanisms on each side to make sure the belt hasn't been stretched to the max. Check the sandpaper holders to make sure they aren't broken. Check the leveling mechanism to make sure you can get the arm level to the tabletop, and lastly, turn it on and make sure it runs. ;-)

Mike Heidrick
04-28-2008, 10:29 PM
It is a Performax 22/44 S/T.
They were sold in piece-meal kits (designed for use on a RAS column) and as a whole package with the three legged stand.
These machines are very solid. I had one and it had been upgraded to a 3hp 220V motor and I added a magnetic starter.

Travis has some good advice.
Pretty durable machines though so you should be fine. Mine was 13ysld. I just sold it because of a G1066Z replacement and I wanted $$ for the MM.

Mike Spanbauer
04-28-2008, 10:44 PM
This is a step down from the current Pro and a step up from the current plus model. The arm is more rigid than the Plus, and is belt driven with a 1.75hp leeson (stock motor).

Tracking is a bit finicky on the unit, but should work. This should have a rubber belt, vs. the sandpaper belt on the plus. The 3 legs are a bit tippy, just be aware... the unit weighs in close to 300lbs so it's not a lightweight.

The dust port on that model I think is a 2" (or 2.5") which was later upgraded to a single 4". It is not sufficient for the volume of dust it will produce. You can easily adapt a 4 or 5" ring though and improve that.

They are very nice machines for the single drum variety. I've probably put several hundred hours on mine and it's performed very well. I also have the 3 leg model.

mike