PDA

View Full Version : HF DC Switch Problem

Mike Peace
04-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Looks like the switch on my HF DC is fried. Had it a couple of years and recently added a Shop Fox remote to it. It is plugged into a 20amp circuit. The motor says 20 amp peak load. I see Grizzly has a Model G8989 switch that will fit the switch cover opening perfectly (7/8 x 1 1/2 )but wondering if it will do the job as it rated at 10 amps. Any recommendations?

Gene Michael
04-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Two thoughts: One is that it will work for a little while before burning out. The other is to contact Grizzly and ask them. Just based on the numbers, I wouldn't do it because of the potential to damage your motor.

Jamie Buxton
04-27-2008, 11:55 PM
The 20A circuit capacity is irrelevant. The question is whether the current drawn by the DC is less than the rating of the proposed switch. Can you find a current rating on the DC? If not, can you find the horsepower? And it would be good to know whether this is a 110 volt or a 220 volt system.

Robert Malone
04-28-2008, 5:53 AM
You can get replacement switch from HF.

I was in my friends shop when the switch went out
2 months after his warranty expired.
He uses a remote control and the switch is always "ON".
He opened the switch to find a piece of plastic broke.
It cost him about $14 for new switch from HF.

So if you are still under warranty, call parts and get a
replacement switch for when yours does go south.

Mike Gager
04-28-2008, 7:14 AM
what about bypassing the switch and running it direct to your remote?

Curt Doles
04-28-2008, 7:49 PM
How about mounting a conventional box to the frame and a standard switch?

Good Luck,
Curt

Bruce Pennell
04-28-2008, 10:42 PM
If it goes to your shop fox remote why not just pull the switch and hard wire it? Thats what I did when my switch went out a couple of months ago.:D

Mike Peace
04-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks to all for the advice.

I think I will temporarily hardwire it without a switch. I found an appropriate Grizzly switch I will use to replace the bad one. I got to believe it has to be as good or better than what came with the DC.