PDA

View Full Version : Strange sized plaques

Tim Baude
04-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone,
I have a chance to buy some strange size plaques. They are 18 x 8. I can get for a pretty good price if I buy all 80. Shipping is going to be the real exensive part as the plaques will be only about .50 each. They are walnut finish.....my biggest issue is what to do with them. Has anyone ever seen this size, and if you have, what were they used for. The measurements are around the same as a drawer front. Just hoping someone had some ideas before I take the plunge. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks

Anthony Scira
04-27-2008, 11:17 PM
At that price I am sure you can figure out something to do with them !

Frank Corker
04-28-2008, 1:59 AM
Tim, cut them in half and have two 9x8. That seems to be a pretty good size for photos.

Craig Hogarth
04-28-2008, 2:12 AM
I like frank's idea. It is a really weird size to work with.

Perpetual and donor plaques come to mind.

Darren Null
04-28-2008, 3:40 AM
Panoramic photographs.

Standard photo + a page of writing (Photo of client crossing the finish line and "winner of Egg & Spoon Race, Preston VA 1938" dedication, or whatever).

"Then and Now" birthday/wedding anniversary photos. hehehe.

Local Snake Appreciation Society?

Craig Hogarth
04-28-2008, 3:43 AM
I've never had good results when trying to do photos on walnut.

Mike Null
04-28-2008, 7:30 AM
I'd buy them and make 8x10 and 6x8's out of them. That's assuming you can match the routed edge.

Some of them can be used for signs so not all have to be altered.

Stephen Beckham
04-28-2008, 9:42 AM
Tim - are you near a Army base?

I make a couple of those a quarter (or similar size w/ similar ratio) for Cavalry units. I use Denix sword hangars for Spurs & a Saber, then I've got a bunch of Stetson Hat holders so they can hang there whole set in one place. I makes a nice retirement gift.

Usually if there is a Saber involved - it takes the longer items like yours - if no saber, I use a 12X15 plaque vertically just for the stetson.

When you say walnut finished - is that the same as paper coating over fibercore or is it Genuine Walnut with finish? Give me a PM if you want to shed a couple to help defray the costs....

Mike Null
04-28-2008, 9:50 AM
Steve

Good catch. Didn't notice they might not be solid walnut. Even so, with some creative marketing you should be able to make good money from them.

Stephen Beckham
04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
If not - they could still be used after turning them into equivilant of JDS's Particle Wood Black Edge plaques. They have a heavy coat of black acrylic paint on edge to cover up fiber core edges. Same way they do their state plaques.

Tim Baude
04-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts. I figured out the shipping and they still will be only around $3 each or so. Haven't finalized anything yet.
Thanks
Tim

Barbara Buhse
04-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Sounds like just the right size for an address plaque or name plaque for the front of someone's house.