PDA

View Full Version : sharpening question from newbie

Linda McAlpin
04-27-2008, 7:01 PM
Hi,
I have wanted to try turning for a long time and decided this is the year, so I have been lurking here for a while, gathering information about what lathe to buy, etc. That decision made, (Jet 1236 ) I moved on to finding a good beginning set of tools (a set of Benjamin's Best to start out). Thank you for all the posts that helped in making those decisions.

My problem now, is that I'm finding myself totally brain-dead when it comes to putting together a sharpening system. Since I think the tools need to be sharpened before I use them, I am at a standstill with my new lathe sitting here waiting to be used.

We have looked at the local Home Depot and Menards, but their grinders come with two coarse grit wheels (36 and 60). From what I have read, it seems I need a 60-80 grit wheel and a 120, and that 8" wheels are best ? I assume that I will need a grinding jig (the wolverine seems quite popular ?) Then there is the question of wet vs dry, HP needed, two speed vs one, slow vs fast, etc. etc. I have never used a grinder in my life and am getting quite frustrated trying to sort all of this out, especially since a lot of the online sources don't seem to list enough detailed information.

WoodCraft has what they call a "woodturners sharpening set" that has a slow speed grinder (dry, one speed, unsure of what brand it is), the dressing tool, and the wolverine jig for $169.95. Does this seem like a good deal ? And, would it be fairly easy to use for someone totally unskilled in this area ? I need a very user-friendly, "sharpener/ grinder for dummies" :rolleyes: I don't want to spend a ton of money, but also don't want to have to replace it in the near future (actually would hope to keep it for many years). And, of course, the main goal is that I do not end up frustrated by tools that are not sharpened correctly.

Any advice you could offer to help me sort this out would be much appreciated !!
Thanks !
Linda

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2008, 7:10 PM
Linda - Welcome to the Creek! Congrats on your new lathe - looking forward to the pictures!

I have and also recommend the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and the Wolverine system. The grinder comes with a 60 grit and 120 grit white wheel - just right for turning. The Wolverine system will allow you to get very good results with minimal effort. The grinder is normally around $95 but does go on sale every once in a while. The Wolverine system is usually around $80 and the vari grind attachment is around $48 - any place matching or beating those prices would be a good deal. Check with Woodcraft, Craft Supplies, Packard, Hartville Tool - to name a few.

Best of luck - looking forward to seeing your first turnings!

Matt Hutchinson
04-27-2008, 7:14 PM
This package from Woodcraft looks like a perfect setup. However, this doesn't come with the sidegrinding jig, another $48.00. This is an important item to have if you plan on needing to use a bowl gouge.

The wet wheels you mention are pricey, and for turning you don't need the kind of honing they provide.

Hutch

Geoff Hanha
04-27-2008, 7:31 PM
Hi Linda nice to see a lady take up turning getting to be a lot getting out of the kitchen not sure if that is a good thing:D mail shava:D not really, the wolverine jig is very good there are lots of different ones based on it and the biggest problem is that it cost, not everyone has the money to throw out on loads of tools, you have to get this then that and it keeps going. If you have a few skills in woodwork think about making your own wolverine jig for your gouges it does not take much, i made my set up and it works great, in fact my father in law bought his for £80 in the UK here and mine works better than his. If you like go along to my site to the downloads you will find the patterns jig pdf on there, print out cut out glue to ply and cut, put together. have a llok before you spend, it might save you some cash to spend on something eles. Any probs drop me aline..Geoff
http://www.shapewood.co.uk

Gordon Seto
04-27-2008, 7:48 PM
Linda,

WC slow speed grinder and Wolverine with Varigrind jig from Oneway are the most common sharpening setup.
You can find the free instruction video from Oneway:
Wolverine video (http://www.oneway.ca/multi-media/wolverine_videos.htm)
I would also suggest you find the local AAW Chapter and attend their meetings. They have library of books and DVDs for members to borrow and most likely almost free hands-on mentoring programs. That would shorten your learning curve.
AAW Local Chapter Listing - The American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List)

Barry Elder
04-27-2008, 8:02 PM
Hi Linda,
I would investigate the local Woodcraft and have them demo their grinder and the Wolverine jig before you make the purchase. If they won't teach you how to use it properly and safely, they won't be much help to you on any other purchase. Usually they are very helpful!

Joyce Baldauf
04-27-2008, 8:37 PM
Hi Linda,

I was in the same boat as you when I got into woodturning. Bought a lathe and a set of tools. My husband was in a tool buying mode at the time and bought the Tormek and sharpening system for woodturning. He later bought the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and the Wolverine jigs. Love the edge from the Tormek. I am convinced that the edge off the Tormek is finer and lasts longer than the edge from the dry grinder, however, it is expensive and if you want to reshape the profile of your tool it goes much faster on the dry grinder. Haven't solved your dilemma, have I?

Your best bet is to join a club. I joined before I turned a thing. The guys were all great and very willing to help. A lot of the club demos turn into (no pun intended) a hands on experience. A lot of times all you need to do is ask for some help and you'll get several offers. Club libraries are very helpful, also.

Welcome to the wonderful world of woodturning, and good luck. Ask any questions here for an answer or two or more. We love to talk about woodturning almost as much as we love woodturning itself.

Joyce

Dennis Peacock
04-27-2008, 9:48 PM
Hello Linda and Welcome to the Creek!!!!!!!

Congrats on getting into turning. Listen to what each person has said so far. Like Joyce stated, I love the cutting edge off the Tormek, but I find myself using the Woodcraft SSG and Wolverine setup frequently. Both setups produce a good cutting edge, but the Tormek provides a smoother / sharper cutting edge. I may get in trouble for saying that, but I've been turning for some time now and I have both setups on my shop and I use both setups. I have stated a couple of times before that the edge off the Tormek is a better cutting edge...but for roughing out, I normally use the grinder.

Any way, try it, read about it and decide what works best for you. :D

robert hainstock
04-28-2008, 9:37 AM
I too use the woodcraft grinder, Though if I were near one of thier stores, I would want to see it run with the wheels on and no vibration before plunking down my money. If you are near one of thier retail outlets, make it a condition of the sale. I've read too many complaints against these grinders and thier balance problems to not do that. I was lucky enough living as I do up here in the frozen north that mine worked out of the box. The other suggestion rhat I would make is that you take a long hard look at the PSI gring jig attachment. Miine works as well for me as does neighbor Steve S. wolverine jig for him. At a savings that is considerable. :D
Bob

John Pennisi
04-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Linda,

I too am in a similar boat as you. I am a newbie to turning/grinding. Only been into turning for a little over a month but LOVE it. Relatively new to the Creek also, particularly the Turners Forum, and love it as well:).

Regarding your sharpening question, I struggled with the same problem. New to sharpening and basically without a clue. I guess you could say I fell for the easy out and purchased a 6" Ryobi grinder from hate to say it Home Depot. Actually, it has done everything I've needed it to to date. As you mentioned the grits are coarse (I believe 36/60) and I've been using primarily the 60 grit for my turning tools. I have a feeling I'll be looking into a 120 grit replacement wheel in the very near future, which I could have avoided if I had found a better grinder.

As for a sharpening jig, I have purchased the Wolverine basic sharpening system and highly recommend it. It is built solid and is fairly easy to install. I love the ease with which you can swap the two attachments and mount them on either wheel, back and forth as you need in no time. I don't have the vari-grind attachment for the fingernail style grinds, but haven't had a need for it as of yet. I've been able to use the Wolverine jig to sharpen all of my gouges, scrapers, and both my parting tool and skew. I have to say I've relied heavily on two videos and a few books for all I've learned about turning and sharpening to this point. Recommended reading: Turn a Bowl by Ernie Conover. Videos: Videos by Dell Stubbs (probably better for beginners) and Richard Raffan (a bit more for intermediate/advanced).

Great post and good luck turning! I'd love to see some of your work when you get to that point. I attached a picture of a recent red oak bird's mouth style bowl I made from green wood that will surely warp and probably crack:rolleyes:... oh well it was fun to make!! The last section in the Conover book explains how to make this types of bowls.

John

Jeff Wright
04-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Here are my choices for sharpening my turning tools. Please keep in mind I have a total of 36 minutes turning (but who's counting?). These suggestions are provided to simply show what one person's research has led him to:

~ Delta 8-inch industrial slow-speed grinder model #23-725 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YBW0) , about a $180-190 machine weighing 90 pounds. I am hoping it lasts me the long term.
~ Norton 3X wheel replacements, one 80-grit and one 120-grit
~ Wolverine Basic Sharpening System, plus their vari-grind, skew and dressing attachments
~ Oneway wheel balancing system

I also bought the Veritas grinder tool rest and jig set (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43072,45938,32975&p=32975). I am hoping to design a sharpening station on locking casters and would like to be able to design it so I can quickly interchange the Wolverine jigs with the Veritas one. There should be enough space in the cabinet to house my Norton sharpening stones and related accessories.

My new PM3520B is due here today or tomorrow! :eek:

Glenn Hodges
04-28-2008, 3:03 PM
I have been using the Woodcraft set up you mentioned for about 8 years, and recommended to others as I do now to you. My grandpa, daddy, nor son owns nor works there....

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2008, 3:32 PM
Linda welcome to SMC. I agree with all. If you get a Tormek plan on spending some pretty good money. The Tormek does give a pretty fine edge to tools. The woodcraft slow speed is a good place to start and as others have stated. I have one. I also hone my tools by hand with a diamond hone. I can get a edge on a tool about as good as the Tormek can and just by honing while turning I don't have to go back to the grinder all the time. I watched Alan Lacers video and talked with him about it. The wolverine video that Gordon gave you is excellent.

Linda McAlpin
04-28-2008, 5:32 PM
Thank you ALL for the advise regarding a sharpening system. I, too, live in the great frozen north country, several hours from a Woodcraft store so checking things out in person would be a bit of a journey. Based on what several of you have said, I went ahead and ordered their beginning sharpening set, which includes the grinder, basic wolverine jig and dresser. Then I added in the vari jig and skew jig to take advantage of the combined shipping (only $4.99 right now ... what luck !! ). So, I am looking forward to being all set by the end of the week to try things out !! Having never ordered from them before, I am very pleased that they have sent me an email that my items have already shipped... extremely fast service !! :)

I also found a local club, from the link provided. It meets about 30 minutes from here, so I can check into attending a few meetings this summer. I'd like to try my hand at this first, so I can ask questions about anything I'm having trouble with. If my learning curve is too slow, I may even consider some sort of workshop this summer. Usually, however, I learn fairly well from books or videos so will seek out those that have been recommended. If anyone thinks of other good beginning instructional resources let me know and I will add them to my wish list ??

And, I found the instructions on the Oneway site, that was mentioned, which should be helpful in mastering the skill of sharpening. I still envision the sharpening as harder than the turning, but hopefully I will prove myself wrong !! :confused:

Again, thank you all for making me welcome, and for all of the good advise and encouragement !!
Linda

Tony De Masi
04-28-2008, 6:15 PM
Linda,

For other instructional tools I highly suggest the first video by Bill Grumbine, Turned Bowls Made Easy. He takes you from the log to the finishing in a very informative, easy to comprehend, and funny video.

Tony

curtis rosche
04-28-2008, 7:19 PM
cant you just use a belt sander with a fine belt? obviously it wont get quite as fine unless you go to a really fine belt but if you already have one it would be cheaper, wouldnt thing work? and then use the jigs that Geoff suggested?

Gordon Seto
04-28-2008, 9:02 PM
I second that, "Turned Bowl Made Easy" is the most complete bowl turning course for beginners.

I would also recommend these YouTube videos by Nick Cook:
YouTube - JETTOOLSUSA's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/JETTOOLSUSA)

The DVD by Richard Raffan are also very good. He was doing them in a fast pace. In order to get full benefit, you have to watch them over and over, practice and watch them again.

The Skew Chisel by Alan Lacer. Get a dead center or a Oneway "safe driver" instead of your spur drive.

Put your face shield on and have fun.