PDA

View Full Version : Signs of new saws on the way!

Dave Loebach
04-27-2008, 1:16 PM
I've been predicting that manufacturers will be replacing all of their circular saws with plung saws like the Festool plung saw. Now I see some signs of it happening I know Makita has been selling a plung saw in Europe for a while. Now many manufacturers are putting their circular saws on sale. I'll bet plung saws are right around the corner. I'll also bet some companies will also try to get a lot more for them than their equivalent circular saw (they are alll just salivating at the prices Festool can charge) but lower prices will prevail eventually.

Anyone want to make a bet? I'll put up a LARGE bag of sawdust against your old circular saw - any brand, any model- that we'll see plung saws by the end of the summer.

Terry Browne
04-27-2008, 1:21 PM
Do you mean plunge saw?

Dave Loebach
04-27-2008, 1:28 PM
picky picky. Plung or plunge. Anyway - wanna bet? I've got a BIG bag of sawdust ready and will payoff if we don't see plunge OR plung saws by the end of summer.

Peter Quinn
04-27-2008, 1:28 PM
Sounds good to me. When the new Makita plunge saw arrives, PM me and I'll send you my old circular saw. You can keep the saw dust though, I have enough!

William OConnell
04-27-2008, 1:32 PM
I've been predicting that manufacturers will be replacing all of their circular saws with plung saws like the Festool plung saw. Now I see some signs of it happening I know Makita has been selling a plung saw in Europe for a while. Now many manufacturers are putting their circular saws on sale. I'll bet plung saws are right around the corner. I'll also bet some companies will also try to get a lot more for them than their equivalent circular saw (they are alll just salivating at the prices Festool can charge) but lower prices will prevail eventually.

Anyone want to make a bet? I'll put up a LARGE bag of sawdust against your old circular saw - any brand, any model- that we'll see plung saws by the end of the summer.

Never in a million years will plunge saws replace what a standard circular saw will do. They're two different saws to be used in two entirely different enviroments. A plunge saw can never replace a framing saw, period . It would just get beat to death within a week and frankly in a construction enviroment may prove to be cumbersome and dangerous
Ill give you the address to ship my dust. You will pay shipping won,t you?

Art Mann
04-27-2008, 1:36 PM
I would not be surprised to see more manufacturers introducing this type of saw in the future. However, I doubt if they will replace the more traditional saws in a big way any time soon. That type of saw is more mechanically complex and expensive to manufacture, and does not offer any benefit to a majority of users - house framers for example.

Dave Loebach
04-27-2008, 1:36 PM
I'm not willing to bet you will like pung(e) saws (especially now that you've tippped your hand), only that they will be on the market. Sorry. No sawdust for you.

William OConnell
04-27-2008, 1:42 PM
I'm not willing to bet you will like pung(e) saws (especially now that you've tippped your hand), only that they will be on the market. Sorry. No sawdust for you.
I have a festool saw and love it for what it is. But I also own seven other circular saws that a plunge saw can't replace. Your post said they were going to replace ALL circular saws with plunges and again thats never going to happen.
PS they're already on the market and will garner very little of the market share

Jeff Mohr
04-27-2008, 2:04 PM
I've used both and I must say I don't see either one out competing the other. I need them both and would not get rid of either.

Peter Quinn
04-27-2008, 2:18 PM
I know plenty of good carpenters that can play a circular saw like a violin, I've seen guys make excellent plunge cuts using a traditional circular saw without spending a weeks pay on a speciality tool. Most don't need an extra bag of saw dust and I'll bet they aren't willing to give up their circular saws either.

Imagine yourself standing on a ladder making plumb cuts on rafter tails with a festool and a 55" guide rail!

Peter Quadarella
04-27-2008, 2:55 PM
Of course companies will start to sell plunge saws if they think some people want to by them. Personally, I think they add more danger than they solve. Think about when you're reaching a bit, and you have to hold down that plunge, otherwise it comes up and you get kickback. Many of the new plunge saws in Europe do not have a function that allows the saw to stay plunged without you holding it down.

Per Swenson
04-27-2008, 3:12 PM
Thousand words and all that.....

Per

Rob Watanabe
04-27-2008, 4:41 PM
Summit Tools up here in Canada has their April Flyer where they have the Makita Plunge saw "on sale" for 429.97, reg. 469.99. (Festool TS55 is $470.00) You can download the flyer and it's on page 12. Next to it is a circular saw for $160. I agree it's comparing apples to oranges.

Burt Waddell
04-27-2008, 5:02 PM
There is a good bit of change going on in the saw market. For example in the last few months Makita added a new 8 1/4" saw and has just announced a new 10 1/4" saw. The only advantage I have ever seen for the plunge saw was the dust collection. A lot of independent work is being done on dust collection and is ready to challenge the advantage of the plunge saw. Also the safety concerns with the plunge saws make it future doubtful. With proper caution, the plunge saw can be used safely in a shop environment. My thought is the plunge saws may come but sales will be low.

Burt

fRED mCnEILL
04-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Gee, it wasn't long ago that I read that the Festool saw was going to replace the table saw. Now its the circular saws. Won't be long and EVERYONE will just have one festool tool in thier shop. LOL

Fred Mc.

Alan Schaffter
04-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Naw, none of the other manufacturers will ever copy the Festool plunge saw, except maybe Makita.

Oh, wait :)

http://www.getwoodworking.com/news/images/090208_0390_IMG_2110.jpg

Yeh, but it won't have a track like the Festool . . . . . . oh darn :D

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/images/uploads/dws520kr.jpg

Steven Hardy
04-28-2008, 4:51 AM
Porter cable has had a plunge saw for better than 15 years. It didnt catch on.

Mike Wilkins
04-28-2008, 8:57 AM
I purchase a copy of Furniture and Cabinetry from Barnes and Noble every now and then. This is a British woodworking magazine; since it's imported it cost double any US mag. One of the ads inside shows a plunge saw from DeWalt, complete with a guide rail system. Much like the green & black ones.
Don't know if it will make it on this side of the pond, but it would be hard to get carpenters to give up their old Skil saws.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-28-2008, 9:12 AM
I have a plunge saw. It's a Skill worm drive (the heavier one) I tilt it up on the front of the base squeeze the trigger and plunge that sucker into whatever I want.

Works like a charm.

Per Swenson
04-28-2008, 9:23 AM
As I said before and for the uninitiated they are two different beasts.

The plunge saw has allowed me to give up the table saw on the jobsite,

not your regular circular saw.

The plunge saw has allowed me to joint and straighten lumber,

on the jobsite rather then in the shop. Saves tons of time and money.

The plunge saw allows me to cut perfectly square crosscuts wider then

12 inch with out flipping it on the chop saw.

With a guide rail its great for TJI beams.

But it is not a rough framing saw.

The picture below is a sheet of 1/2 Honduran mahogany plywood,

at the time it cost me 147.50 a sheet.

No American style circular saw here.

Did I mention the lack of dust and appearance of professionalism?

Do these tools ever see a Kick arse Framing Job?

Ya know the kind I get to generally pay the bills?

Nope.

Per
:D

John Pahl
04-28-2008, 10:28 AM
I have that same Skil saw. Great investment. Might be my favorite tool!!

Shawn Honeychurch
04-28-2008, 3:06 PM

I dare ya to google "plung", it is very different from plunge. :D

William OConnell
04-28-2008, 4:41 PM
I dare ya to google "plung", it is very different from plunge. :D

You must mean the definition in the urban dictionary:confused: