PDA

View Full Version : Walnut cross pollinates Pine

john lawson
04-27-2008, 1:14 PM
I am teaching a class at our Woodworkers Guild, building a large Shaker Dining Table, and instead of cherry, one of the participants opted to use old growth reclaimed pine.

Though I have heard of it this is the first confirmed instance (that I am aware) of Walnut cross-pollinating a pine tree. Interesting what happens when using reclaimed material.

Peter Quinn
04-27-2008, 7:16 PM
Uhm...uhh...duhh...there's chocolate in my peanut butter! What the heck is that?

Stephen Edwards
04-27-2008, 8:35 PM
I am teaching a class at our Woodworkers Guild, building a large Shaker Dining Table, and instead of cherry, one of the participants opted to use old growth reclaimed pine.

Though I have heard of it this is the first confirmed instance (that I am aware) of Walnut cross-pollinating a pine tree. Interesting what happens when using reclaimed material.

It certainly appears to be "cross" pollinated!

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-27-2008, 8:49 PM
What's the discoloration at the joint?

Jim Dunn
04-27-2008, 9:11 PM
Looks like the bill from a saw fish? Could the discoloration be glue?

Jim Becker
04-27-2008, 11:33 PM
You have that one pegged! :D

David DeCristoforo
04-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Thats a threaded tapered walnut tree rod. Haven't seen one of those in years. Or it's a giant walnut ring shank peg. Haven't seen one of those in years either....

john lawson
04-28-2008, 12:17 AM
The discoloration at the joint is, in my opinion, evidence that the act of cross-pollination was indeed consummated. But it could also be polyester resin.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Some turner spent a lot of time putting the grooves in that peg.

Don Eddard
04-28-2008, 6:48 AM
Thats a threaded tapered walnut tree rod. Haven't seen one of those in years. Or it's a giant walnut ring shank peg. Haven't seen one of those in years either....
What were these tree rods or pegs used for?

Art Mulder
04-28-2008, 10:38 AM

And what the heck are those?

I'm still in the "What the?..." head scratching camp on this one.

Jim Becker
04-28-2008, 10:38 AM
What were these tree rods or pegs used for?

Pegs were used like nails and screws are today...and typically in a draw-bore format so that the peg pulled the joint together even tighter, although those would usually be smooth pegs, although hand-hewn. This walnut peg is more interesting due to the serrations and glue. I'm wondering if that is a "more modern" replacement peg inserted long after the structure the resawn beam originally was in was built.

Russ Sears
04-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Walnut crossed with Pine? Is that where wine comes from? Or maybe that's how they make Palnuts.

Ba dump...ting! Sorry about that :p

David DeCristoforo
04-28-2008, 3:36 PM
"...And what the heck are those?..."

Haven't got a clue. I think they are in the same category as the "Johnston Rod" and the "Double Dynanable Bolster"