PDA

View Full Version : ? re: Jet jwbs-18x band saw

Eric Klock
04-27-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm having a difficult time deciding beween the Jet jwbs-18x nd Grizzly g0513x2 band saws. Yesterday I was able to take a look at the Jet at a tool dealer some 65 miles away from my home.

I was trying to estimate the stiffness of the frame and it's ability to resist twisting. While grasping the main column with my left hand I applied pressure to the outer portion of the upper wheel house. I could visibly see the blade move backwards in relation to the thoat plate approximatey a 1/16". I have no way of measuring the amount of force I put on the frame nor do I have an accurate measurment of the amount of movement. None the less it bothered me enough not to buy the saw. But should it?

I read FWW's review of the jwbs-18 and later their follow-up video when the -18x was introduced. They publish a frame deflection of .0293" under 16lbs of force. Were they measuring the frame the same way I was? Deflecting downward or twisting on the spine?

Do you think the g0513x2 would twist this much?

A few more observations of the jwbs-18x:

The once smallish thumbscrews on the upper guide bearings are now larger wingnut-headed screws. All guide bearings (upper and lower) are easily adjusted without any tools nor do they require moving the table.

The saw I looked at was definately equipped with white urethane tires. There was a 20" Powermatic sitting next to it which had black rubber tires so the white urethanes really stood out, to me anyway.

The table thickness is about 3/8" between the webbings. I don't know what the thickness is of the g513x2 but from the pictures I've seen it looks lie the Grizzly has much thicker webs.

The dealer offered to knock $50 bucks off the $1199 price. When combined with the $100 rebate through 4/30 the jwbs-18x and g0513x2 become the same price (that's accounting for the freight charges on the Grizzly).

Should I be overly concerned about the frame twisting on the Jet? Or just buy the saw and be happy with it. Is there something else to consider about these saws that I may have over looked?

I have read every thread and comment on every board and forum I could find. I've spent 3 weeks reading bandsaw threads, I need to make some sawdust.

Dave Lehnert
08-16-2008, 10:11 PM
BUMP to the top.

I found this question in the search and was also looking at the Jet vs Grizzly bandsaws. Any thoughts??

Gregory Stahl
08-17-2008, 12:48 AM
After comparing my Grizzly BS with the Jet, Rikon, and SC machines, I feel Grizzly offers a better machine for less money, and I am glad I took a chance buying it as it was my first Grizzly purchase.

I ended up getting the G0514X2 as it is not too much more than the 513X2, and comes with the table tilt mechanism, foot brake, and 3HP.

For me, unless I could afford a European import, I wouldn't even think twice--I would just call Grizzly and get it on the way!

Good luck,
Greg Stahl

Barry Vabeach
08-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Eric, I am out of town today, but I bought the Grizzly 513 2x a few weeks ago and if you have ant specific questions on it let me know.

Brian Kent
08-18-2008, 12:06 PM
I just went through the same search - exhaustively because I had the interest way before I had the money - and found the Grizzly 513x2 the best buy for me. 100% satisfied.

J. Greg Jones
08-19-2008, 7:32 AM
FWIW, the October issue of Wood magazine has a full-page ad on the back cover for Jet's new TSC line of bandsaws. Anyone interested in the JWBS models should be able to negotiate a pretty good deal on one, but it still could be higher than the Grizzly.

Sparky Norton
08-25-2008, 5:53 PM
Hello All,
This is my first post and likely not my last. I've enjoyed this forum for nearly a year and hope to be able to make an actual contribution after I've learned a thing or two.

I'm pretty handy around the house and have done some carpentry work (just for myself, not for hire) but never any furniture or cabinet making. Now that my bones are "tired" from too many years of competitive sports, it's time to slow down. I've wanted to get into woodworking for decades but never took the time because I was always too busy. Or at least I thought I was. Now is time and I can't wait to get started.

You have a great group of very knowledgeable contributors who are gracious enough to share their wisdom and experience with others. I would like to think I've learned a thing or two about setting up a shop from this forum and hope I've made some smart tool purchases in recent months. I can't wait to finish putting my shop together so I can actually start using some of the tips I've been reading about. OK, that's enough sucking up for one post. :)

Since I don't have unlimited floorspace for my shop, I recently purchased a JET JJP-12 jointer/planer. I haven't used it yet since I don't have the 220 wiring yet but it sure looks "purdy". I'm not sure if this is a gloat or not but I purchased it new for under $1500 including shipping. How did I do? This leaves me with two more "big purchases", a bandsaw and cyclone dust collection.

Since I'm in the market for a BS, I started doing some searching for info on the new JET TSC line of bandsaws. They have some nice features, I'm particularly interested in the 18", 3hp. JET item #710751B, model JWBS-18QT-3. From what I've found so far, prices start around $1429.

Here are a few links to some of the information I've found so far.
Nice review here.
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jet18bsrvu.html

Complete line of new JET TSC bandsaws (16", 18", 20")
http://content.jettools.com/sellsheets/710751b_ss.pdf

Spec sheet for 18", 3hp
http://woodworking.jettools.com/Product.aspx?Part=710751B

I welcome any/all comments.

Sparky

Lance Norris
08-25-2008, 7:05 PM
Since I'm in the market for a BS, I started doing some searching for info on the new JET TSC line of bandsaws. They have some nice features, I'm particularly interested in the 18", 3hp. JET item #710751B, model JWBS-18QT-3. From what I've found so far, prices start around $1429.

Sparky... welcome. You wont find a more knowledgeable group to help you spend your money. That being said, unless you are absolutely set on buying a Jet bandsaw(I like Jet), take a look at Grizzly as well. They make a fine bandsaw, arguably as good as any medium priced bandsaw on the market.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/mach-specs.aspx?key=420

Also, one nice thing about Grizzly is the president of Grizzly pokes his head in here from time to time to answer questions.

Barry Vabeach
08-25-2008, 9:29 PM
Sparky, how did you get the Jet for under $1,500? Or is that deal gone, gone, gone. Barry

Sparky Norton
08-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Lance,
I'm still weighing my options on my BS purchase. I was shying away from JET bandsaws and leaning toward Grizzly until this newest model came out. I'll wait for a few more reviews before I make a decision but it looks as though they've put some nice features in this new machine. Grizzly is definitely in my top 3 choices for a BS. Thanks for the welcoming and your input.

Barry,
For that price I thought I was buying a new, open box, unused machine. But after the dealer (authorized JET dealer) figured out shipping, repackaging, etc., he decided to have a brand new one sent to me directly from the factory. Good deal for me. :)

Sparky