PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Questions

Scott Rychnovsky
04-27-2008, 11:55 AM
I am a new member and I would like to get some advice about purchasing a new bandsaw. I have an old 12" Delta BS that I mainly use to cut shapes out of plywood. In the past I have tried using it to resaw boards and been very disappointed by the results. I would like to get a new bandsaw that would primarily be used for resawing. I have read through several recent reviews on bandsaws.

The two bandsaws I have been looking at are both in the grizzly line: the G0513X2 17" and the G0514X2 19". The 19" is bigger (duh) has a different table tilting mechanism and a foot brake. It also costs more. I am sure that there are other differences.

One limitation is my work space. I need a bandsaw that I can put on a mobile base and role out of the way. Can this be done safely with these two saws?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I am mainly interested in resawing planks less than 10" (probably mainly 4-8") and I would like a system that gives me the cleanest possible cuts. (I assume that no bandsaw will give cuts as smooth as a table saw?) I have a 6" jointer I can use to clean up the smaller boards. My main goal is for constructing furniture as a hobby. I would probably use the other bandsaw for smaller work and at least initially would not plan to change blades often. (I may change my mind if the new bandsaw is obviously better for smaller work.)

Thank you.

Scott

Michael Faurot
04-27-2008, 12:41 PM
I am mainly interested in resawing planks less than 10" (probably mainly 4-8") and I would like a system that gives me the cleanest possible cuts. (I assume that no bandsaw will give cuts as smooth as a table saw?) I have a 6" jointer I can use to clean up the smaller boards.

To resaw efficiently requires using a blade with 3-4 teeth per inch and nice large gullets to move the swarf out of the kerf. That means the cut will be somewhat rough. In my experience, you're always going to need to clean up after a resaw operation.

To do the clean up on resawn stock, I either do it with a hand plane or run it through a lunch box sized planer.

My main goal is for constructing furniture as a hobby. I would probably use the other bandsaw for smaller work and at least initially would not plan to change blades often. (I may change my mind if the new bandsaw is obviously better for smaller work.)
I have a similar set-up. I have one large bandsaw set-up to do mostly resawing and straight cuts with a 1/2" 3TPI blade and another smaller bandsaw that typically has 1/8" blade for doing curves and small stuff. Given the amount of time and rigmarole involved with swapping blades on a bandsaw, having two bandsaws set-up for different operations makes it easy to move from operation to the next.

Lance Norris
04-27-2008, 2:27 PM
Scott... welcome. It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding about what you want your bandsaws to do. Either of those 2 bandsaws you mention will do the job you want. You will need a good strong mobile base to move them. I also have 2 bandsaw, and do just what Michael does, One for resaw/rip and one for curves. If it was my decision, I would buy the 513x2. I have the G0457 and it is nice for resaw. It has the same 2hp motor that the 513x2 has and it is plenty. You wont go wrong with either saw.

Peter Quadarella
04-27-2008, 2:51 PM
I have the G0513X2 and would make that decision again. However if the extra money and slightly more space needed doesn't bother you, the 514 does have some nice added features - a foot break would be nice sometimes.

John Bush
04-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi Scott,
I had tne chance to visit a Grizz showroom to check out the BS line. They all look like good machines at a great value. I upgraded from a Rikon 18 to the G0531X primarily for the foot brake. The Rikon was a good machine but it took too long for the blade to stop. The worry factor got the best of me. I would recommend the 19"er just for that reason, otherwise both saws would perform well for you.

Scott Rychnovsky
04-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Thank you for all the comments. A footbrake does sound nice to me. Can anyone recommend a specific portable base that will work with the 0514X2? Would anyone recommend a portable base for the 0513X2?

I assume that I should be looking at a 3 tpi 1" blade for these saws for resawing. Would anyone care to recommend specific BS blades?

Thank you.

Scott

glenn bradley
04-28-2008, 12:47 AM
I use a 3/4" 2-3 tooth Timberwolf on my G0513X. My 1/2" seems to do just as well on the quality of cut and seems to feed a little easier. Something to factor in, even with 2HP I feel the need for more power when resawing near capacity in harder woods.

Dave MacArthur
04-28-2008, 3:17 AM
I've been studying bandsaws in the class you are for about a year now, and have arrived at the same two as you. I've decided on the 514x2 pretty much, for the footbrake and the added support on the table (I'd like to do some lumber resawing from 5' logs).

However, I do think the 513x2 is a fantastic value, and if I didn't have $400 extra burning a hole in my pocket, I'd go with that. Also, there is an article on how to add a footbrake to a bandsaw which I have linked somewhere, and it appeared to be a pretty simple operation.