PDA

View Full Version : Pictures taken at Small Show in the UK Yesterday

David Newson
04-27-2008, 10:12 AM
I Thought you may like to see the pictures taken yesterday at a small wood turners show held in Kent,UK.

Some was Demonstrators work and some were the local clubs work.

If you would like to see more I'll post some more up, also have some picture of Hollow forms incorporating pewter, and close ups of some pieces, hope you enjoy !

Roger Wilson
04-27-2008, 10:24 AM
More photos please. Also photos of the area as well and any of the people. Any idea who the turners are? Some of the techniques used to produce those bowls would be interesting to know about.

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Those are some beautiful pieces. Looks like a great show.

John Terefenko
04-27-2008, 11:02 AM
I too would love to see more photos. I really like the goblets. I am always amazedd at what designs can be done. I would love to learn that technique. Does anyone know of any books or dvds that show things like that.???

David Newson
04-27-2008, 11:07 AM
More photos please. Also photos of the area as well and any of the people. Any idea who the turners are? Some of the techniques used to produce those bowls would be interesting to know about.

Roger - The 1st table pictured and the goblets and pieced platter are the work of Mick Hanbury RPT professional wood turner, whilst at the show I purchased his DVD's on boxes and platters and just a brief look through them they go into great detail how they made and his techniques, They are available through his own web site or from Craft Supplies Ltd.

The second table is work of the Kent local wood turners club work.

The Second lot of pictures are all Mick Hanbury's work.

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2008, 2:05 PM
Very impressive work David! Thanks for posting!

Bill Bolen
04-27-2008, 4:54 PM
Some beautiful work y'all are doing over there! I really like the "rope" carved plate edge! Thaks for the pic's. Can't get enough!...Bill..

Glenn Hodges
04-27-2008, 5:23 PM
Thanks for showing us this work.

Ron Jones near Indy
04-27-2008, 5:41 PM
Thanks for sharing!

Geoff Hanha
04-27-2008, 6:31 PM
David see you got to the show then, Mick Hanbury's work is nice and his video is very good as well you should enjoy it, if you like that one then get John Berkeley Screwples, again another box guy but shows you all about thread chasing, both guys are really nice people John i get on well with was chatting to him last week at a show i went to. the vids are available on ebay through Karl Tickle or his site www.ktmp.co.uk (http://www.ktmp.co.uk)
This is the guy that makes the films and they are some of the best produced turning films i have seen they show natural turning and good video editing, he does ship outside of the UK. Also Johns can be bought from his own site as well.
http://www.johnberkeley.co.uk
Anyone that enjoys box turning should love these two DVD Screwples is 5 hrs long and Micks is around the same so great value, lots of info not to be missed.
Hope you had fun..Geoff

Mike Marmon
04-28-2008, 7:27 PM
David;
Thanks for posting the pictures, In the first series I thought that I recognized some of the work. Then you proved me correct. Last summer I took a week long class with Mick Hanbury in southern France. It was a great class and Mick is a great instructor. This is a picture of the work I did during the class.

Cheers

Mike

Raymond Overman
04-28-2008, 7:52 PM
Wow, that little pierced box is my favorite. All the pieces are nice but it just jumps out at me.

David Newson
04-29-2008, 2:47 AM
To all I'm glad most people liked the show pictures.

And just to give you a quick update on the DVD's, have almost finished watching " Making and Decorating Boxes" and can confirm its a really an excellent value 2 DVD box set, which covers six of his boxes in detail, including the tools he used, and a little bit on sharpening for those that don't know, in all a very well structured DVD, and interesting techniques.

robert hainstock
04-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Some nice pics of some very intricate work. Thanks again! :):)
Bob

Skip Spaulding
04-29-2008, 9:33 PM
Wonderful show, great pictures.