PDA

View Full Version : Planer snipe question

Duncan Potter
04-27-2008, 9:44 AM
Hi all

I have a DeWalt 735, my first planer. I'm getting a little (.005) snipe. I have the accessory infeed and outfeed tables.

My question is, how should the tables be adjusted? Dead flat across the whole machine? I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that a slight elevation to the tables could minimize snipe.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Scharle
04-27-2008, 10:26 AM
First thing I do on mine when it starts to snipe, is to wipe the rollers with mineral spirits and wax the flat surfaces.

Richard M. Wolfe
04-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Well, Duncan, I have an old 733 and it's been a long time since I've messed with it as the planer I use nearly all the time now is a 20".

I looked for the manual to check on the setting, but couldn't find it offhand. But I do recall the setup specifying elevating the ends of the infeed and outfeed tables. Check your manual or if you, like me :(, can't find it check the DeWalt site and see if it's available online to see how much elevation. Right now mine is working OK and when it does I find that I don't need the cutterhead lock.

Byron Trantham
04-27-2008, 11:18 AM
I have the 735 and both in feed and out feed tables are adjusted to the highest point. Once I did that, I rarely get snipe. Hope this helps.

Johnny Fischer
04-27-2008, 9:30 PM
Ducan,
I also have a 735 planer and Yes, the tables need to be elevated.
Good luck.

glenn bradley
04-27-2008, 9:52 PM
I use what was shown to me as "the ten cent solution". I raise the outer edge of the infeed and outfeed tables about the thickness of a dime higher than the platten. This worked great for quite awhile. I began getting a little snipe once and re-checked; the outfeed had dropped a bit (wear at the point of contact with the bolt adjuster). I readjusted and all was well.