PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Question - Parting Tool

John Buzzurro
04-27-2008, 8:03 AM
I recently got started with woodturning. I took a 2-day class, and I've been practicing spindle work and sharpening.

I have the Wolverine jigs, and a grinder. I was able to sharpen all my gouges with no problem. I ran into trouble though trying to sharpen my 3/16" diamond parting tool. If I try to sharpen it with the basic Wolverine jig, I end up grinding only the center of the bevel. This creates a concave shape in the center, and the rest of the bevel remains untouched.

I watched the DVD that comes with the Wolverine jig, and the instructor recommends using the tool rest and grinding by hand. I tried this, but because of the diamond shape, it tends to rock while I'm grinding, and I can't get an even grid. I have another parting tool that is not a diamond, and this technique worked OK with that tool.

Any help is appreciated.

Troy Cleckler
04-27-2008, 8:26 AM
I have the Wolverine Jig also and have been using it for several years now. As far as sharpening my diamond parting tool I can't remember that I had any troubles with it, been sharpening it as long as I had the tool too. Got them at the same time. Looking at my tool though, it does have a slight concave to the sides however this doesn't have any effect on the tools cutting ability. All tools that you buy new will have to be sharpened and shaped to your liking. After you get the shape you like you'll be able to duplicate it time you touch it on the grinder.

Bob Hamilton
04-27-2008, 2:19 PM
Hi:
After seeing the demo of sharpening the parting tool on its side on the Oneway site, I started grinding mine that way and have been getting good results. My parting tool is the diamond shaped one as well. What has been working for me is to keep the parting tool pressed flat to the tool rest so that is fully rocked toward the wheel. The tool rest needs to be adjusted slightly nose up to compensate so that with the parting tool rocked towards the wheel the "bevel" is presented exactly tangent to the wheel. It usually takes me a couple of adjustments to get it right. Once I have ground one side I roll the tool 180° to grind the other side rather than swinging the handle around, but I don't know if that makes any difference.

Good Luck!
Bob

John Buzzurro
04-27-2008, 6:25 PM
Bob, I did as you suggested, and now I'm getting much better results. Still need to practice more, but I think I'm on the right path now.

Thanks!
John

Ron McKinley
04-27-2008, 10:10 PM
sharpen only one side at a time. That raises a burr and that's what does the cutting. Next time sharpen the other side. Works for me and I sharpen it freehand using the table.......Ron