PDA

View Full Version : converting word or excel doc to paragraph text

Craig Hogarth
04-27-2008, 12:06 AM
I have a list of 347 names that were emailed to me in excel that I need in corel as paragraph text. Excel and word gave me a ton of problems so I ended up copying/pasting it into an email to myself and copying/pasting to corel. That worked fine, but it's not in paragraph nor artistic text. honestly, I don't know what else it would be called. I tried right clicking, no option to convert. ctrl-F8 doesn't do anything.

Currently, it's one column 66 inches high. In order to do what I need, I need it in paragraph text.

Anyone have an idea?

Mike Null
04-27-2008, 6:19 AM
Craig

If you're trying to use the list of names for name tags or such save the original Excel file as a text file then import it to Corel. That should allow you to convert to artistic text.

I'm not aware of an option to convert to paragraph text.

Maor Grinberg
04-27-2008, 6:20 AM
I do! I don't usually have the opportunity to help here so thanks for asking...

You shouldn't use copy/paste to do this. In a way, it makes the computer try and guess what you actually want to do and they aren't that smart.

What you should do is this:

From Word:
1. Save your text in rtf
This is done by selecting "Rich Text Format" in the "Save as Type" on the bottom of the Save As window.
2. Import the rtf file into Corel. I recommend checking the "Discard font and formatting" radio button.

From Excel:
1. Select the required cells and copy them.
2. Go to Word and click to Edit > Paste Special and select "Unformatted Text".
3. Save you file in rtf etc.

If the data is stored in a two dimensional array in excel you might need to work harder preparing it because this method will create a single column so you can't really align each column.

Hope you find this useful!

Darren Null
04-27-2008, 6:43 AM
You can paste text into an empty paragraph box.

Vicky Orsini
04-27-2008, 8:39 AM
I'm not in front of my X3 computer right now, but I believe the feature is called "print merge"? Would that work for you? You create your set-up in Corel using place markers, format the font any way you want, then perform the print merge and the system plunks the values in where the place holders are.

Craig Hogarth
04-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them all a try when I get to my work computer.

Mike Null
04-27-2008, 2:00 PM
Darren

That's too easy! I just imported a text file I converted and it works perfectly.

Craig Hogarth
04-27-2008, 2:51 PM
I've tried all suggestions, but none are working. It keeps on pasting it in some other format other than paragraph or artistic. Either or would work, but what I'm getting is not usable for what I need done.

Attached is a sample of what I'm trying to do. The project I'm working on is a box that measures 12x22 on the front. I'll be engraving 350 names (if they fit) wrapped around 4 different logos.

The text I paste from word won't allow me to do a wrap around. Maybe someone can take a peek at it and let me know how to wrap the other text around the object.

Craig Hogarth
04-27-2008, 3:08 PM
Ok, I got it figured out in a round about way. Maor, I think your suggestion of saving as RTF helped out. It wasn't giving me what I needed when I copied it from word, but now when I paste into an email, I can cut and paste that text to get paragraph text.

I'm using Office 2007, so I don't know if that's what's not allowing me to copy directly from word.

Mike Null
04-27-2008, 3:19 PM
Craig
Did you try to save the Word file as a text document Before importing it?

Craig Hogarth
04-27-2008, 3:38 PM
just tried it and it didn't work. We just recently upgraded to office 07 for a college course my wife took. I didn't have problems when I was using 03.

Emailing to me isn't that big of a deal though.

Craig Hogarth
04-27-2008, 3:42 PM
aha, I didn't read your suggestion fully. I was focusing on cutting and pasting. I never used the import command. That works when saved as a text document. thanks.

Stephen Beckham
04-27-2008, 7:09 PM
Craig,

I know I'm Johnny come lately on this one - what you're looking at is the long time fight between Corel and Microsoft. They don't like each other - it goes way back to Word Perfect 5, Word Star and Pre MS-Office software.

Basically, Corel has pasted it as a Word Object. If you click and drag the box, you'll see the slanted line in the lower left hand corner as you drag it. It's not considered text at all by Corel, but as an object.

I get around it in several ways - usually which ever one I can remember when I'm playing with this problem. I think the one I use the most is to double click the MS Object (letting it open a Word window inside of Corel) then drag and drop the text. All the other way I piddle with it have been covered.