PDA

View Full Version : 3phase Shaper

Dan Stuewe
04-01-2004, 2:44 PM
CRAZY IDEA ALERT!!!

So, I've made a big mistake and let the Euro-Combo machine bee get in my proverbial bonnet. Based on my limited research, to get a model with a shaper that can handle typical router bit speeds, >15,000 rpm, you need to go to a level above where I'm already uncomfortable going. So I just had an idea that I thought I'd throw out...

If you have a 3 phase motor with a phase converter, can you jack the speed up by about 2x? (Minimax and Rojek bottom line combo shapers -single phase - run 9K-10K rpm) Or, by the time you pay for 3 phase motors (more or less than single phase?) and the phase converter, would an optional upgrade be easier/cheaper?

Rob Russell
04-01-2004, 3:00 PM
Dan,

A straight phase convertor won't change the output frequency and therefore the speed of a 3-phase motor. You need a VFD - Variable Frequency Drive - that can vary the output frequency. You don't want to spin a 3-phase motor with 120 Hz power. I seriously doubt that VFD-duty rated motors are rated for a 200% rpm increase.

The optional router spindle on the Felder runs at 15K or 16K RPM. If you really want higher, there is a variable speed optional (via built-in VFD) that can take you up to about 20K RPM.

You don't want to spin a shaper cutter that fast.

Rob

Dan Stuewe
04-01-2004, 3:32 PM
Rob,

That's kinda what I figured. I've seen that Felder and Knapp machines can get up to small router bit speeds, but the ones in my range, Minimax and Rojek, are quite a bit slower. Actually "my range" is more like Grizzly.

Thanks.

Chris Padilla
04-01-2004, 3:41 PM
Grizzly?? Try Winnie-the-Pooh over here! :p

Dan Stuewe
04-01-2004, 3:57 PM
Grizzly?? Try Winnie-the-Pooh over here! :p

Move on down to Orange County and see your cost of living plummet!

Dean Baumgartner
04-01-2004, 10:40 PM
With a VFD the best that you can run a motor above is to 90 Hertz. What speed motor comes on these tools? It may be possible to put a higher rpm motor on along with the vfd and then slow down to the range you want to run at.

Mike Wilkins
04-02-2004, 10:34 AM
My opinion only here. I would use the shaper for what it is intended to
do only: run shaper cutters. By the time you add the option of a higher
speed for running router bits, you will most likely have spent the same
money for a good router table set-up.

I realize for space reasons lots of folks like to run router bits in their
shapers, but some bits only cut well at higher speeds.

You probably have more than one router in your shop anyway, and the
plans to build your own router table are all over the place.

My suggestion is to forget the router option the the shaper and get
yourself a good table set-up for your router.

John Renzetti
04-03-2004, 8:56 AM
My opinion only here. I would use the shaper for what it is intended to
do only: run shaper cutters. By the time you add the option of a higher
speed for running router bits, you will most likely have spent the same
money for a good router table set-up.

I realize for space reasons lots of folks like to run router bits in their
shapers, but some bits only cut well at higher speeds.

You probably have more than one router in your shop anyway, and the
plans to build your own router table are all over the place.

My suggestion is to forget the router option the the shaper and get
yourself a good table set-up for your router.

Hi Mike, Speaking from my experience I can say that when I bought my Felder KF7F about 6 yrs ago I kept the router table I had for use just in case. Well I ended up using the high speed router spindle (15k) in the shaper portion of the KF all the time and the table just sat in the corner taking up space. So I sold the router table about 2 yrs ago. I found that 15k is good for most bits. Just varying the feed rate makes up for the higher speed needed on some small bits. One thing though, backed by that 5.5hp 3ph motor, the bit doesn't slow down when it starts into the workpiece.
How are doing?
Take care,
John