PDA

View Full Version : Following suit on intro

steve banks
03-08-2003, 8:02 PM
I like alot of other folks new to the "Creek" am a refugee from the "Pond". I was mostly a lurker more than an avid poster. I'm 41 years old, married to a R.N., and have three children- a boy (4yrs.), a girl (2yrs.), and another girl (5mths.). I know , what in the world are you doing having kids at such a late period in life? Well, I didn't meet LOML until I was 33yrs. old and we weren't planning on kids due to the fact LOML was career oriented and we were and still are restoring a 100 yr. old Victorian house. That's where the woodworking comes into play. I'm simply amazed and intriqued with historical architectual woodworking. I like to reproduce moldings, appointments, and anything else missing or needing replaced. This means hunting and searching for antique long leaf pine lumber for resawing. I myself have been in industrial plant maintenance all my adult working career. I've been working for the last 15 yrs. at a cold war era nuclear plant that made the "buttons" for the atomic bombs and tritium to give the bombs more umph. I do have a house full of antique furniture that needs alot of woodworking attention. I will be needing advice on how to do furniture repairs and/or piece replication. Thanks for the kind and warm welcome for us ex-Ponders.

Jim Izat
03-08-2003, 8:21 PM
Hey Steve,

Glad to see you! The mills a great place to spend time. Just push the wood chips off the nearest log, and set a spell.

Jim Izat

Howard Barlow
03-08-2003, 8:34 PM
:eek: Jim, what happened? You look so much better in the light! :D

Oh, Hi Steve, welcome to the Creek.

Jim Izat
03-08-2003, 8:44 PM
Originally posted by Howard Barlow
:eek: Jim, what happened? You look so much better in the light! :D

Oh, Hi Steve, welcome to the Creek.

Quick shave, pair of contacts.... Voila!

Jim

Howard, I hear there's a woodworking show here in Houston later this month, are you thinking of going?

Howard Barlow
03-08-2003, 8:58 PM
When is it? I'll be in Russia from the 17th to 25th. Well, depending on politics and wars. Got stranded in Moscow for a week on 911.

Jim Izat
03-08-2003, 9:19 PM
Originally posted by Howard Barlow
When is it? I'll be in Russia from the 17th to 25th. Well, depending on politics and wars. Got stranded in Moscow for a week on 911.

It's on the weekend of the 28th to the 30th. I've posted to the powertool forum about it, but it may be moved to the support forum, still getting the hang of things here.

Jim

Von Bickley
03-08-2003, 11:56 PM
Sounds like you must work at SRP. Got a brother-in-law that works there and lives in the big town of Montmorenci. Glad to see you in the creek.

Ted Shrader
03-09-2003, 3:54 PM
Steve -

Welcome. Friend of mine is from Aiken, his dad retired from the plant. His Grandma lives in Travelers Rest. Pretty country around there.

Pull up a log.

Ted