PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to all of you who talk about turning safe

dennis kranz
04-26-2008, 9:44 PM
This afternoon I was about to start roughing a small green bowl. About the time I was going to put the metal to the wood I remembered my face shield. Something one of you guys said at one time made me think of it. About 30 seconds into the roughing a very large piece of bark nailed me right over my left eye. Never saw it coming. Left a small mark on the shield. Other than that went back to turning after knocking the rest of the bark off. Could have been a lot worse.
Thanks to all
Dennis
(still with 2 eyes)

Alan Tolchinsky
04-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Dennis, Glad that turned out good for you. It is amazing the stuff that can get thrown back at you when turning. That's the reason I almost always wear a full face shield. Happy turning.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Dennis,

You only have to launch one bowl and you'll become a believer in face shields.

Don Eddard
04-27-2008, 3:07 AM
Ken is right. It only takes one good whack in the face, with or without the face shield, to make someone a believer.

Ron Ainge
04-27-2008, 7:00 AM
Last week I had a bowl break loose and come flying out of the lathe. I bounched off of the floor then hit the ceiling and spun around the shop for what seemed to be five minutes. I can tell everyone that I was dancing to keep out of its way. I had the lathe going about 3000 rpm's and I now think that was a bit fast. The bowl broke almost in half and so I took it to a meeting to show the newer guys what can happen. The looks on there faces told me that they got a new respect for the lathe. Always use your safety equipment if not for you benifit do it for your family.

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Glad you weren't hurt. When I first got into wood working my granddad ask me one time why I bought safety equipment and then let it hang on the wall? :eek: It only took a box to launch and hit me in the chest to realize that. :eek::mad:

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Glad you weren't hurt. When I first got into wood working my granddad ask me one time why I bought safety equipment and then let it hang on the wall? :eek: It only took a box to launch and hit me in the chest to realize that. :eek::mad: I never go in the shop without my face shield anymore.

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2008, 1:28 PM
Dennis - glad you weren't hurt! You can't turn without things like that happening every once in a while. Bark pockets are always a nice surprise and can get your attention real quick! Doesn't take long and you won't even turn the lathe on without a facesheild of some sort!

Hilel Salomon
04-27-2008, 5:12 PM
Dennis,

Bark goes flying all over the place when I turn, and I always wear a full face mask because of this. As long as we are talking safety though, let me add to this. It also pays to put some clear plastic on your face shield to protect it from those bumps and.............. please don't forget about breathing protection. It's less obvious, but incredibly important. If you have any doubts about this, please go to a VA hospital or any other one and observe the folks in iron lungs or who need oxygen regularly and were cavalier about protecting their lungs. Dust is as much an enemy as flying objects.\
Luck, Hilel.

Chris Barnett
04-27-2008, 7:09 PM
David Marks has a face shield that has a strap over the head. My shield is very uncomfortable. Does anyone know the brand Marks uses or one that is similar...i.e. band over the head? Above post reminded me to get one that I don't mind wearing.

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2008, 9:54 PM
Chris - the last video I watched with David Marks - he was wearing a Trend. I've had one for over a year now and wear it every time I turn the lathe on! You can see the specs here: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/category/trend-airshield.html

Jeff Wright
04-28-2008, 12:06 AM
. . . I bounched off of the floor then hit the ceiling and spun around the shop for what seemed to be five minutes. . . . .

YOU must have been quite a sight "bouncing off the ceiling and spinning around the shop!" :D

Glad you weren't hurt.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Jeff....Ron was just dodging that bowl he'd launched.:D

Glenn Hodges
04-28-2008, 3:21 PM
I use one right after an accident, then after a while I start to feel indestructable like Superman, then I quit until I get whacked. The process starts all over again. It seems the worse I get hit the longer I wear a face mask. A wise turner gave me some good advice, "Never stand in front of the piece you are turning. Stand a little to the side of it." I always expect something to fly off the lathe also.