PDA

View Full Version : The "shop" can be anywhere...even in a bedoom...

Jim Becker
04-26-2008, 9:24 PM
Now that Professor Dr. SWMBO and I have vacated our former master bedroom (we got our CO for the addition (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm) last Wednesday and moved a couple nights ago), it's time to retrofit it for use by our older daughter, Nastia. "Retrofit" is the operative word because a wall must go up to create a hallway so nobody has to walk through her room to get to the bathroom the girls will be sharing or to/from her younger sister's soon-to-be-new-room. (currently Professor Dr. SWMBO's office and our former guest room pre-kids)

So...it was time to set up shop. Literally. Rather than go through a bunch of hassles disconnecting my CMS from the miter station, I decided to use my MFT1080 and ATF55 to deal with cross cutting studs. It was already in the house for some flooring repairs I needed to do in the great room. The job is not large, so requiring a little extra time for each cut was no big deal.

The new wall is to follow the same path as an existing false beam, so I used a plumb-bob to get my points for the bottom plate and then put down a line with painter's tape. The floor was too slick for a chalk line and I didn't want to use a Sharpie, either. Working it out with the tape did the job. Of course, said fake beam happens to cross the space slightly out of square to the room (not that the room is square...LOL).

Building the wall was just ordinary carpentry and there were no major challenges. By the time I headed to the (new) shower tonight, everything was framed and all the rough electrical done. Tomorrow the drywall goes up.

Because of the location of the fake beam, the former doorway was re-engineered from 36" to 32". I'll patch the drywall to the left of the opening on the loft side and it will be ready for the painters who are arriving the week after next to do the great room.

The old threshold and riser was also replaced with left-over flooring material from the addition. This will be colored and finished to match.

A very productive day...and more to do tomorrow. Of course, if I wasn't doing this kind of thing, I could actually move all my clothes to the new master suite. But, nnnnnnnooooooooooo....I have to take care of "miss impatient" who wants her own room, like, well...yesterday...:o

Leigh Costello
04-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Jim,
I think you are doing a great job! Just pretend you are on vacation and live out of your suitcases until you, like, get the room finished. It's not, like, you have a real need to hang your clothes up. Gosh! What ev! :D

Jim Becker
04-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Well, I got a lot more progress done today on this one, even with a trip to Lowes this morning for a few odds and ends as well as family dinner/lunch out and a whole blooming hour in Bed, Bath & Beyond acquiring "things" for the addition with the two girlie girls in tow.

Walls up...check.
Electrical in...check (it even works... :) )
Drywall up....check
Corner beads on...check

Time to play in the mud. But that will have to wait until tomorrow night. I'm beat...

Progress Pictures:

Leigh Costello
04-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Once again, good work. At this rate, you'll be done before girlie girls can change their minds! The things we do for our kids. :D

Art Mulder
04-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Of course, if I wasn't doing this kind of thing, I could actually move all my clothes to the new master suite. But, nnnnnnnooooooooooo....I have to take care of "miss impatient" who wants her own room, like, well...yesterday...:o

Hmm, I was going to ask if she was a bit excited by this, but I think you've already answered that.

And I note that Professor Dr SWMBO got to move her stuff, but not you?

And perhaps "miss impatient" should be reminded that if she pesters Poppa too much, then maybe that TV hanging in the corner will be coming down also. (Are you actually letting her keep that?)

Nice wide hallway!! I don't like narrow corridors, and this preserves the roomy feel.

What's up with the bump in the wall at the far end by the closet? Is there a purpose, or just didn't want to have to move the light switch? :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
04-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Art, the TV is definitely leaving. Our girls will not have television or computers in their own rooms until they are at least 18 years old... ;)

The bump is due to the fact that the new wall follows under the fake beam. I couldn't take that down without opening a major can of worms and where it meets the closet end of the room, a straight (? ;) ) wall would have interfered with the right closet door. So that little bump out accommodates that situation and provides a nice opportunity for some built-in shelving.

I agree on the width of the hallway...it turned out very nicely and we can keep the bookshelves there. The door at the end will be removed after construction is done, too. It's no longer needed at that point. Same for the door on the other side to the middle room. It will just be a hallway now.

And yes, I still have not been able to move any clothing outside of a few items and whatever came out of the wash and went directly to the new master suite. No biggie...it will get done.

Jim O'Dell
04-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Looks like a couple productive hard days work! Good job! Have fun with the mudding and texturing. :) Jim.

Jim Becker
04-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Looks like a couple productive hard days work!

Thank goodness for analgesics... :o

Lori Kleinberg
04-28-2008, 2:04 PM
Glad to see the family is keeping you busy with more projects :D. I love reading your remodel posts. Thanks for shaing the details.

Jim Becker
05-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Things moved along this weekend. I did end up moving my CMS into the room and clamped it to the MFT. I need to do some bevel cuts and miters on the trim. Remaining work to do includes painting the door and replacing/repairing the small cove moldings along the ceiling lines. I really love that BM Aura paint. Expensive as all get-out, but the ceramic stuff in it makes for a very washable and durable matte surface.

Saturday - Trim work

Sunday - Primed and then painted two coats on the walls as well as the trim. Colors match the existing wallpaper field and trim.

Leigh Costello
05-06-2008, 7:02 PM
And again, nice work. Bet you can't wait to be done, though. :D

Jim Becker
05-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Yea, I have a bunch of other things I need to move on to...like moving the rest of my own clothes to my new closet and, oh yea...some "fine woodworking" at some point.

Jim Becker
05-12-2008, 9:43 PM
Well, this room is no longer a "shop"...it's now the cozy den of an almost-teenager. (Shoot me now...:o) A fun and rewarding project, but very tiring and hard work. Satisfied customer, however! (You can read more about it in our BLOG (http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com)) She moved in on Saturday and is very happy with her new room!

So...a few more pictures:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=88322&d=1210604424

Dennis Peacock
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Well, this room is no longer a "shop"...it's now the cozy den of an almost-teenager. (Shoot me now...:o)

Boy can I EVER identify with that.....the (shoot me now) part. :)

Give her my congrats and my hat is off to you and the missus for an addition well done.!!! :D

Leigh Costello
05-13-2008, 3:31 PM
Jim,
Great job! Your "pre-teen den" looks great. My daughter is graduating next week from high school. Treasure the moments, man, and don't blink. why are my eyes leaking again!?!?! - My hubby and I are preparing for empty nest makeovers, such as, actually seeing our programs on tv tivo list and missing out on things like top model and american idol. They grow up too fast.