PDA

View Full Version : Arts and Crafts Rocking Chair

Michael Pfau
04-26-2008, 8:52 PM
Hey Sawmillers...My Great Grandfather built a rocking chair almost exactly like this one roughly a hundred years ago. My Father is 81, and sits in it everynight!! I have admired it since I was a child, well...here is my arts and crafts rocking chair for my house. I built this one thinking how my Great Grandfather built his, no power tools nothing but sweat and planes, and and handsaws. Boy we are all spoiled!! I had a ball building this. My first laminate project. The rockers came out great. Qtr sawn white oak, and for a finish, Watco dark walnut danish oil, then wipe on poly. then wax. I hope my Great Grandfather would approve!! Thanks for looking.

Chris Rosenberger
04-26-2008, 9:04 PM
Great job Michael.
Your Grandfather would be proud of you.

gary Zimmel
04-26-2008, 9:12 PM
Michael

Fantastic job on the rocker. Did you copy the original one by your grandfather or use a plan? Lasty how long did you wait to put the wax on?

Extra credit for doing neander.....

Chris Walls
04-26-2008, 9:14 PM
Michael :

Great job, it looks really nice. I'm sure YOUR grandchildren will be bragging about how it was their grandfather who built it. I really like the arts and crafts style, I am working on a Morris chair now, it's styled after one my Great Grandmother used.

Chris

Jim Andrew
04-26-2008, 9:53 PM
I agree, Grandpa would be proud that you like woodworking and of your chair. Nothing like grandkids for me. Chair looks great, how bout posting your plan?

Dave Tinley
04-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Very nice.
So when are you going to sell all your power tools ?? :D:D

Jacob Reverb
04-27-2008, 9:21 AM
Very nice job...there's some real nice stuff on your website too! I wasn't clear: Did you say you didn't use power tools on your rocker?

J. Z. Guest
04-27-2008, 9:33 AM
Look great, I really like it. Is it comfy?

I do think your great grandpa would be proud.

Lonnie Cook
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Michael:

Your rocker is timeless. And the history of the design makes it really special. Thanks for posting multiple pics ... each view shows more of the classic details.

I agree with Jacob - the work that you posted on your website shows the same respect for the craftsman and shaker styles.

- Lonnie

Jim Becker
04-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Beautiful job, Michael!

Glenn Clabo
04-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Perfect!
Nice work AND great story.

John Thompson
04-27-2008, 2:07 PM
Excellent Michael. And you are quite correct about using "all" hand tools. When you started with them you don't have the shock factor, but I can imagine being weaned on power and then going into reverse.

The quarter-sawn looks great..

Sarge..

Don Bullock
04-27-2008, 9:45 PM
Very nice piece Michael. It looks a lot like one my my grandmother had when I was a kid and brings back some very pleasant memories.:D

Ron Jones near Indy
04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Very nice rocker. I'm sure it will be in the family for decades.