PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot and Veneered Plywood

Terry Teadtke
04-26-2008, 8:02 PM
(http://www.shopbottools.com/prSstandard.htm)

Just now getting into the CNC woodworking field and have a question. I値l be ordering a PRS Standard 96 on the next 30 days and has a few simple questions for ShopBot owners. I値l be doing a fair amount of work with plywood such as cutting down, cutting shapes, and dadoing and was considering a sliding table saw for a lot of the work. Then it dawned on me that the ShopBot could do the same things I need a sliding table saw to do if I could get tear-out free cuts with the ShopBot. With high quality router bits and cutters, can I expect tear-out free cuts and dados on high quality veneered plywood?

Thanks

Terry

Keith Outten
04-26-2008, 9:08 PM
Terry,

A lot of ShopBotters cut plywood, it is one of the most popular jobs for some people. I haven't cut enough plywood to answer your question but the few pieces I have machined worked really well with nice crisp edges. I expect the trick to quality cuts like any other material is matching the right router bit with the best speed and feed settings.

Sorry I can't offer any better advice.

Terry Teadtke
04-26-2008, 9:37 PM
Thanks Keith

Terry

Ed Lang
04-27-2008, 9:34 AM
Buy the Alpha model.

Either Standard or Alpha will cut clean, but for your production work, the stronger faster machine will be better in the end.

Guy Hilliard
05-01-2008, 8:36 AM
Terry;

To ensure clean cuts on both sides of the plywood use a compression bit. I highly recommend the 3/8" Vortex.