View Full Version : Yard sale gloat, now what do I do with it?!

David Tiell
04-26-2008, 5:03 PM
Was at a yard sale today and saw this sitting there with a "make offer" sticker on it. On an off chance, I asked the woman there "How about $20"? She looked around like she was looking for someone to ask about the offer, then just said, "yeah, sure, I'll take $20 for it". Needless to say, I grabbed it and ran.

It's an industrial Baldor 1725 rpm 110/220 motor. My only problem is, I don't know what to do with it. All my power tools have decent motors on them, although my Delta BS could probably use a bit more power if I can't come up with anything else. What can I build to use it for?

Since it did't happen without pictures, here they are.

Matt Meiser
04-26-2008, 5:22 PM
How many HP?

I have a 1750 RPM motor dedicated for use with a wire wheel. Mine's a dual-shaft so I plan to get another arbor to put a buffing wheel on the other side, but yours would work fine. Or you could put it on Craigslist for what it is really worth and use the profit to buy something you need.

That's as good a deal as the nice Stanley 750 chisel I got today for 50 cents. :D

John Cooper2
04-26-2008, 5:27 PM
You could sell it to me for $40.00 and then you would not have to worry about it and you could say you doubled you $$$$$

Great find.

David DeCristoforo
04-26-2008, 6:20 PM
OK, this is a slam dunk. You take off that useless pulley, replace it with a Jacobs chuck and you got the badastest most macho hand held electric drill on the block....

Peter Quinn
04-26-2008, 9:02 PM
I like David's idea...mounted to a stand of your own design with an XZY table in front of it, perhaps the begining of a shop built slot mortiser?

David G Baker
04-26-2008, 10:45 PM
David,
I have been keeping a 2HP Baldor sitting on a shelf for the past 20 years waiting for a need for it. It is a near new motor that came off of a compressor and will work on almost any tool that I have if I need it. I like to have spare parts and motors around just in case. If I had found the deal it would go on a shelf and wait for a use or as was suggested, make the badastest hand held drill out of it. :D

Randal Stevenson
04-26-2008, 11:12 PM
1/2 HP or less, v drum sander. 1 1/2 HP or more, thickness sander.

Get some pillow blocks, a shaft, and some pulley's and build your own buffer/grinder.

If your into old iron, find a drill press, or Jim Thiels old 8" ts in the classifieds for restoring.

Exchange it with me for my pump mount style (can't find a removable foot) Baldor.

Bill Edwards(2)
04-27-2008, 3:48 AM
Convert your car to electric?

David Tiell
04-27-2008, 7:19 AM
Thanks for the replies, everybody! It's a 1/2 hp. The buffer idea doesn't sound too bad, but I gotta admit, the "Tim the Toolman" in me likes David's idea!:D

scott spencer
04-27-2008, 7:35 AM
Nice David...it looks brand new! I like to daydream about building drum sanders and lathes and such, so I keep as many spare motors around as I can stumble across, just in case I actually spring into action with one! :rolleyes: Last week I grabbed a 1hp Baldor L3510T from CL for $25....ya just never know. Good luck with your biggest badest handrill project! :D

J. Z. Guest
04-27-2008, 9:40 AM
If all your stuff has decent motors already, I'd ebay it. I wouldn't be surprised if you got $100 or more for it.

It might make a decent TS motor, but I those generally run at 3450 RPM.

That, or replace one of your tools' motors with that one, and sell the original motor on ebay.

Matt Meiser
04-27-2008, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't go to the trouble of putting it on your bandsaw as thats a pretty small motor for a bandsaw. I have that exact same motor on my 6" jointer and it great for that. I used it for the wire wheel/buffer before I got the double shaft motor.

Doug Shepard
04-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Oh man. I'm imagining the hot water she was in when hubby got home. You sold it for how much??:eek:
Nice score.

Dave MacArthur
04-28-2008, 4:07 AM
Hmm, I can't find what HP or Amps this motor is anywhere...maybe I'm missing it in the thread..

David Tiell
04-28-2008, 7:03 AM
Hmm, I can't find what HP or Amps this motor is anywhere...maybe I'm missing it in the thread..

Sorry. 1/2 hp, amps are 8.8/4.4 depending on whether it's wired for 110/220.

jason lambert
04-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Well I'm tinking go cart! How about hopping up the washing machine....

Brad Sperr
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
It might be a little underpowered, but what about building your own cyclone?

Shawn Honeychurch
04-28-2008, 3:10 PM
My only problem is, I don't know what to do with it. All my power tools have decent motors on them, although my Delta BS could probably use a bit more power if I can't come up with anything else. What can I build to use it for?

Since it did't happen without pictures, here they are.

Build a GO CART!

David DeCristoforo
04-28-2008, 3:39 PM
"...Build a GO CART!..."

With a really long cord....

Shawn Honeychurch
04-28-2008, 4:30 PM
"...Build a GO CART!..."

With a really long cord....

Doh!

Good point, or a lot of battery packs.

Steven Wilson
04-28-2008, 4:42 PM
A 1/2hp Baldor. That would be nice for driving a buffing setup or a real nice knife grinder.

J. Z. Guest
04-28-2008, 4:43 PM
Doh!

Good point, or a lot of battery packs.

Yep, and an inverter to suppply the motor with AC. This seems a bit less realistic every moment, hehehe.

David DeCristoforo
04-28-2008, 5:25 PM
"Sorry. 1/2 hp..."

Half a HP? Well that's not gonna make a very macho hand drill.....

Brad Noble
04-28-2008, 6:14 PM
"Sorry. 1/2 hp..."

Half a HP? Well that's not gonna make a very macho hand drill.....

David, David, David! I'll build the measley half horse Baldor motor into a hand held drill ONLY if you promise to come to my shop and drill me some holes in some 1/2" plate steel. Without any drilling lube of course. ;) Oh, and bring your own bits too. :D

Brad