PDA

View Full Version : First Segmentation Attempt

Troy Cleckler
04-26-2008, 4:43 PM
Wanted to turn a bowl but didn't have a blank large enough. Then I remembered seeing an article in an older magazine illustrating segmentation. So I gave it a try and this is what I came up with. Really had fun with it and it won't be my last. Need honest opinions and critiquing. It's about 2-1/2" tall and about 5-1/5" dia. and made from maple and mahogany. Sorry about the large photos, still haven't figured out how to attach thumbnails yet.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/tcleckler/Segmentedbowl001.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u154/tcleckler/Segmentedbowl002.jpg

Brian Brown
04-26-2008, 4:48 PM
Looks very nice to me. Normally you should be concerned about cross grain orientation coming apart in the future of any of the pieces, but these are small enough that they shouldn't cause you any problems. A great bowl weather your first or fiftyith.

John Devost
04-26-2008, 5:13 PM
Hi Troy, great work! I would really like to hear how your 'crossgrain' situation holds up, keep us posted:)

Robert McGowen
04-26-2008, 6:06 PM
Need honest opinions and critiquing.

The shape and bowl itself look great. You might have already guessed from the first two answers you received that you might want to check out the grain orientation and why you should glue it up with all of the grain running the same direction. Also, the joints should be staggered, if possible, as much as you can between rows. It certainly looks like you have the ability to do segmented work down though!
Time to start the next one. :)

Richard Madison
04-26-2008, 9:00 PM
Good advice above.

That's a fine looking piece, Troy. Will be looking forward to seeing the next one too.

mike fuson
04-27-2008, 1:00 AM
Troy , your first attempt is better than my first. I agree about the ''cross grain connection'' but more for the color differences rather than joint failure. I have segmented pieces that I did 16 or 17 years ago that the grain orientation was not all the same direction and they have done fine but end grain finishes different than face grain. Having said that, I also have some pieces that are ten years old and the joints did fail because the orientation wasn't all the same direction. In my experience if the grain orientation is not the same eventually you'll feel a small ridge at the joints cause the wood has moved. If the grain is all the same direction then the piece as a whole will move together and you'll have a smooth piece that is uniform in finish. In my opinion if you think things out before you get into cutting pieces its just as easy to cut the pieces with the grain orientation in mind as it is going cross grain.

Troy Cleckler
04-27-2008, 8:16 AM
Thanks, guys, just wasn't thinking about orientation of grain at build up. Looked over the article again and it didn't mention anything about grain direction and I wasn't thinking either. His was a 12" bowl and I just cut the dimensions in half due to the wood I had on hand at the time. I'll keep an eye on this one but be more in-tune to grain direction on the next one.

David Newson
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Troy - that's a real nice segmented bowl for 1st attempt, if ever I get round to doing a segmented bowl and its a good as yours on my first attempt, I'll be well pleased, and well done good bit of work.

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Great looking piece for your first attempt.

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Troy - I like the form, the finish and your design! Looking forward to seeing your next segmented piece!