PDA

View Full Version : treating drawers?

alex grams
04-26-2008, 4:42 PM
I am working on a project with some drawers made from poplar. What do most people recommend treating it with? Just rubbing it down with some BLO?

The application is for a desk, so not heavy traffic, but i want to stop any liquids from easily being able to stain the wood, just minimal protection.

Thanks in advance.

Richard M. Wolfe
04-26-2008, 4:50 PM
Shellac. Wipe or spray and 'good to go' in a half hour with no residual odor. If you finish with any kind of oil or varnish it will be outgassing - and smelling - forever. Not for high traffic or heavy exposure to moisture (liquids) - but as you said, minimal protection.

Frank Drew
04-26-2008, 5:33 PM
I don't care for the looks of poplar with a penetrating oil finish, so I agree with Richard -- I'd brush on a coat or two of shellac. It would seal the wood adequately and would provide a nice base for wax if you choose to use any; linseed oil might turn the wood darker than you might like while not giving you very good sealing properties.

Lee Schierer
04-26-2008, 6:26 PM
I've used brushable lacquer and water based polyurethane inside drawers. If you use solvent based finish just let it dry for a week before you put the drawers in the cabinet and close it all up. The water based poly has no odor and gives a good durable finish.