PDA

View Full Version : Chain Saw Air/Fuel Mixture valve stops

Allen Neighbors
04-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Can anyone tell me how to locate and remove the stops from the air/fuel mixture valves on a Stihl Chainsaw?

robert hainstock
04-26-2008, 1:23 PM
Sorryt Alan, but somebody will be along. Happy chips!:)
It should be in the instruction book, If not do a google for the Sthil book.:):)Bob

Nathan Hawkes
04-26-2008, 2:08 PM
PM sent. Just be careful! Those limiters are there for a reason, and are usually there to keep you from adjusting the RPM's up too high for any reason---i.e. leaning out the saw too much. Putting less gas, surprisingly, at throttle---leaning out the saw, is what makes the RPMS shoot up for the same throttle setting. More gas makes the RPMS lower--richening up the mix. It would be easy on a long cut to overheat and score (completely trash, actually) the piston/cylinder at a high RPM.

Matt Hutchinson
04-26-2008, 4:25 PM
I have a Stihl, and I am wondering what benefit this would have. I don't know much about engines.

Hutch

Jerry Pittman
04-26-2008, 5:34 PM
Allen,
I don't own a chainsaw but I do have a fairly extensive backgrond in engines. Without knowing what you are trying to accomplish/cure, I will make these general comments. The stops you refer to are probably an attempt at emission control, but on much more practical note, they may also protect you from yourself. Unless you have a good knowledge of engines, especially two cycle engines, you have a much better chance of ruining the engine than making any positive improvement by adjusting them. If you think they need to be adjusted away from the factory settings, make sure that you aren't overlooking some other problem such as a dirty air filter, dirty carburetor, weak spark plug or ignition system system, etc.
Just my $.02 worth.
Jerry

Allen Neighbors
04-26-2008, 6:52 PM
Thanks Nathan, I got your PM!
For those who want to know why I want to know... The EPA requires that the motor be set to a mixture that is too lean, because of emission controls. I can tell that the mixture is too lean for the good of the engine. I bought it, and that makes it mine... and if the thing craps out on me, the EPA won't care enough to replace it. So I want to enrich the mixture just a tad... it will make the saw easier to start, and run better, and, subsequently, to last longer.
I know enough to not lean it out too much or it'll (as Nathan says) 'fry' the engine.
Thanks for thinking of me. :)