PDA

View Full Version : Fire Pit Ring

Todd Hoppe
04-26-2008, 11:14 AM
I know this isn't exactly woodworking, but has anyone made their own fire pit ring?

I'd like to use one of the fire pits they sell at target or Walmart (the kind that are like a bowl on a stand), but convert it to propane. The commercially made rings are expensive for what they are, and they are very simple.

I'd think they would be easy to make.

Marcus Isaacson
04-26-2008, 12:54 PM
I have made plenty of fire rings, although maybe not the kind you are looking for. Normally what I do is just make it out of rocks, then clear all grass, brush or debris away from the outside of the rocks to prevent your fire from escaping. These fire pits are great for camp fires or cooking fires. You could also use bricks, molded concrete (using this method you can get whatever shape, height or color you want), or fashion something out of cast iron.

Edit: Sorry I missed the part about propane. I have no idea with that, all the fires I do are wood. Maybe for a flame source, you could take a head and hose from one of those propane torch weed burners and incorporate it into whatever design you end up with.

Kyle Kraft
04-26-2008, 3:30 PM
Are you referring to a circular gas burner buried in a firepit full of lava rocks like on Survivor?

http://www.gasproductscompany.com/gas/circular-fire-rings/

Troy Cleckler
04-26-2008, 3:47 PM
I used a tractor rim, mine is rather large though, about 42" dia. I burried it in the ground about 12" and that left enough above the ground to put landscaping blocks, two rows high, around the outside. This one will outlast me.

Rob Will
04-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Remember that concrete products will pop, crack, and explode when exposed to intense heat.

Rob

Dan Stuewe
04-27-2008, 1:13 AM
Remember that concrete products will pop, crack, and explode when exposed to intense heat.

Rob

There are special concrete type mixes that are designed for intense heat (my wife is planing on using a product in her glass kiln that gets up to 1500+ deg F).

I don't know what is special about the mix (looks like and is prepared like other concrete mixes I've used around the house) other than there does seem to be some sort of fiber reinforcement mixed in.

andy Needles
04-27-2008, 7:05 AM
I have a ring that was "made" in a local high school metal shop. It is a bus or 18 wheeler truck brake drum, with legs and a cover plate welded in. The lug holes provide ventilation. It weighs 150 lbs, but it will never wear/rust out, and it heats nicely

Andy:D:D:D

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-27-2008, 9:51 AM
If using propane and not wood:
You can bubble propane up through any nice clean sand and then use any rocks you please for the prettiness of it. I believe you can use a pipe ring ( or any shape) with a bunch of holes in it and no oxygen injection at the piping stage. Bury the ring in the sand. so it's surrounded top bottom sides etc.. If I have the physics correct the sand will act as a Faraday flash back protector. The fuel will burn only when it hits the open air.

Mind you, I ain't built one.

Todd Hoppe
04-27-2008, 10:02 AM
This is what I was thinking of:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314AZPKKCSL._SL500_AA227_.jpg

Todd Hoppe
04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Are you referring to a circular gas burner buried in a firepit full of lava rocks like on Survivor?

http://www.gasproductscompany.com/gas/circular-fire-rings/

Yes, exactly!

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-27-2008, 8:40 PM
That'd prolly do it. I'd make the center plenum larger so as to get as even a distribution of pressure as possible.

Pat Germain
04-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Propane is awfully expensive these days to burn in a fire pit. Any chance you could use natural gas?