PDA

View Full Version : Hollow...ing Thoughts

Tom Godley
04-26-2008, 7:49 AM
I believe that my new "over the top lathe" will be shipping shortly. I have been assembling my new turning tools and getting my sharpening station together.

When I decided to add a lathe to my new shop -- I had not "turned" for many years. What I always enjoyed about working on the lathe was the free feeling it imparted as you worked - especially on larger work.

I believed that the best way to reintroduce myself to the lathe was to take a class - by luck David Ellsworth is nearby. I had not been familiar with David or his work, so the long weekend was an eye opener. I loved the intensity of the hollowing - the precision -- the lack of repeatability of working with wet wood.

This brings me to the "thoughts":
I see all of the contraptions available to aid in hollowing, and for me I think this will take away any connection with the craft. I remember years ago I had to make a table in a class -- we made the first leg and used a copy lathe to make three more -- they looked great but I could have bought them! I made my next with legs of a design that my skills at the time could reproduce to create the four.

My desire is not to have a wall full of "hollow forms" that I may not feel all that connected to. I have decided to stay away from the "helpers" at this point.

How do people feel about this??

Jim Becker
04-26-2008, 9:06 AM
Tom, like most folks, I started hollowing using manual tools, including taking the same three day course with David. But hollowing is a very, very physical task and my body just can't handle it well. Thus, a captive system alleviates the body pain I get from the process and lets me concentrate on the art. "My" connection to the craft is the end result. The specific tooling or method is less important, whether you are turning or doing flat work. IMHO, of course. That said, I'm not a fan of David's hollowing tools! LOL 'Just a personal preference--I like something more balanced and for the cutter tip to always line up with the center line of the shaft. His straight bar is fine, but the 45º cutter tends to twist too easily in my hands.

If you'd like to experience a captive system sometime, I have the Jamison setup for Stubbalina.

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2008, 9:15 AM
I agree with Jim. I started out with doing HF's with the Kelton hollowing tools by hand. But with arthritis in my hands it got to be a chore. I hurt when I was done and it got to be it wasn't fun. I have both of Randy's HF monster tools and the articulating arm unit now makes it fun to do HF's again. It is very easy on my hands and now I can enjoy using my creativity without the pain in my hands.

Matt Hutchinson
04-26-2008, 9:16 AM
As far as hollow forms go, there is a certain level of contraption use that is necessary. At the very least you need a long heavy bar and a "trapping" bar in addition to the regular rest. For me, I have not gotten into hollow work, but will be this summer. I feel quite similar to you, in that I don't want to use a super fancy setup because I don't think I would feel like a "craftsmen". Now, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with turners using lasers and articulated arms. In fact, I wouldn't mind having an articulated arm in my shop. But I too need that connection with the piece and the skill needed to make one. For me, a laser would take that away.

I have witnessed a turner making a huge walnut hollow form, using the simplest setup possible, and it was flawless and stunning (about 24" X 9"). At the point I saw it, he had spent hours upon hours hollowing it with a 5 foot bar. It was a masterclass in true skill. That is what I want to be able to accomplish. I want to know that I have honed my skills and mastered these turning techniques. That's why as a beginner to hollow forms, I want to use a simple, and some may say archaic, hollowing setup.

Hutch

Curt Fuller
04-26-2008, 9:19 AM
There's something about turning that also gives me the feeling you refer to as 'connected'. And nothing like sore shoulders and a stiff neck to let you know you've been 'connecting' with a nice hollow form for a few hours. But I keep telling myself to get a "system" for hollowing for the simple reason that it would be easier on my body. I personally like forms with a small opening and prescribe to the theory that if you can't get your fingers inside to feel the finish it isn't that critical to get it perfect. But it seems to me that a good system would make it much easier to have the inside be as nice as the outside without as much physical abuse.

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2008, 9:24 AM
Tom - Jim and Bernie already stated the reasons I moved over to the captive and articulating arm systems. I enjoyed creating hollowings that are unique but it got to the point that the pain in my shoulders and arms no longer made the process enjoyable. Using manual tools may not cause the same issues for you - in which case - enjoy! For me, the use of the systems I now have allows me to enjoy hollowing again and I can concentrate on form - which is my connection to the wood.

robert hainstock
04-26-2008, 9:43 AM
I have only made two HFs in my life, but I agree totaly with Jim B. I used the Elsworth tools, made heavy 1 1/2 x 16 in handles. and could barely control the angle cutter. that was 15 years ago when I was still a boy in my late 50s. I wouldn't try one now without the capture system in place. I remember years ago watching my older brother count out his afternoon pile of pills, saying that I would never get to that. Now I take 17 different meds a day. We get older ,and creakier, and slower, etc. Enjoy it while you can. As for me, I sold my table saw, gave away my chain saw, and turn when I can as long as I can. Happy chips!:)
Bob